Sign in to follow this  
BeardownAZ

Hunting with Glocks and non hunting pistols(pics page 2)

Never really been into javelina or desired to hunt them. However I thought it would be cool to try a ham hunt using a regular self defense type pistol. Man, was I humbled this weekend with my shooting abilities. Me and two friends, who like to hunt javelina, went in on this together. We found plenty of pig and got within distance plenty of times but finalizing it wasn't so easy. I don't know if it because we under estimated them or over estimated our shooting ability but needless to say, it's like Javelinas 7(or more) - Hunters 0. Still a blast either way. I will say, semi autos and pigs make for a challenge that's for sure. We were using a Glock 22, 20 and a 1911. All factory standard.

• Like 2

Your better then me or us Desertmafia, we failed horribly. Made for a lot of good laughs all of us missing with pigs running everywhere

• Like 1

Definetely gotta get close with a handgun, I think flinching with them gets exaggerated because of the noise! They are fun though, I'll be out with my 1911 next weekend, I was unable to be out this weekend.

What are the rules pertaining to autoloading pistols? Is there a magazine capacity rule or something? There's been a couple times the last few years that I carried my 9mm due to concerns over bear (or other large critters that aren't really supposed to be here) and had an opportunity at a real close range coyote shot (about 10 ft.) and some small game, but I thought it would be illegal to shoot them with my pistol. Guess I need to keep abreast of rule changes a little better.

What are the rules pertaining to autoloading pistols? Is there a magazine capacity rule or something? There's been a couple times the last few years that I carried my 9mm due to concerns over bear (or other large critters that aren't really supposed to be here) and had an opportunity at a real close range coyote shot (about 10 ft.) and some small game, but I thought it would be illegal to shoot them with my pistol. Guess I need to keep abreast of rule changes a little better.

Only magazine requirements in the state are for migratory game birds.

Yeah I was out using my Glock 20 for the first time. I think flinching or over squeezing and pulling happened. Need to practice more that's for sure. But fun and a lot of learning took place.

I mistakenly thought that the 5-round mag limit they used to have for semiautomatic rifles was for all semi-auto weapons. I went back through the regs as far as 2010 and can't find it anywhere though. Guess it's not a change, I was just ill informed.

I almost had to use my self defense 1911 in 38 super for self defense from a javalina during a deer hunt about 4 years ago. It was a hairy situation.

I had it out last javalina season too when we were pushing some brush where we missed a couple rifle shots. One broke out behind us after we passed through the brush.

Harley

• Like 1

I mistakenly thought that the 5-round mag limit they used to have for semiautomatic rifles was for all semi-auto weapons. I went back through the regs as far as 2010 and can't find it anywhere though. Guess it's not a change, I was just ill informed.

No, they did change it a while back. Used to be 5 rnd limit. No limit anymore except as stated with migratory birds there a 3 rnd limit and I believe 5 rnd for quail as well.