Sign in to follow this  
olmos1010

Another Dead head

Them critters sure did a fine job of cleaning it up. Not even a trace of hair on the ground.

• Like 6

Dang thats a nice one! I found my first dead head last weekend on the ham hunt. Nice little coues with a bladed main beam.

• Like 1

I've got other pics with the rest of the mess but figured there was no need to post those.

Them critters sure did a fine job of cleaning it up. Not even a trace of hair on the ground.

• Like 1

I've got other pics with the rest of the mess but figured there was no need to post those.

What is the best way to clean a dead head? Is boiling is the best route to go even though the antlers aren't brown? They aren't completely chalked but they aren't brown. Don't know what the best method is to clean it up without damaging it.

What is the best way to clean a dead head? Is boiling is the best route to go even though the antlers aren't brown? They aren't completely chalked but they aren't brown. Don't know what the best method is to clean it up without damaging it.

I boil mine in oxi clean and baking soda for 30 min at a time and pressure wash in-between each boil. 3 times usually does it. I then will let it soak overnight in a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap and oxiclean. Rinse off with clean water and let it soak in peroxide for a day or two. Only let the skull soak in the peroxide. If the antlers get a little discoloring from the peroxide that's okay cuz they can be touched up later. Rinse off good with clean water and let it dry for a day at least. Then it's ready to do whatever you want with it. I'm not saying that this is the best way but it's just the way I do it. Good luck to you. Also if the skull is real brittle after the entire process you can cover it with a matte finish modge podge and it will make it a lot more solid.
  • Like 2

I boil mine in oxi clean and baking soda for 30 min at a time and pressure wash in-between each boil. 3 times usually does it. I then will let it soak overnight in a bucket of water with Dawn dish soap and oxiclean. Rinse off with clean water and let it soak in peroxide for a day or two. Only let the skull soak in the peroxide. If the antlers get a little discoloring from the peroxide that's okay cuz they can be touched up later. Rinse off good with clean water and let it dry for a day at least. Then it's ready to do whatever you want with it. I'm not saying that this is the best way but it's just the way I do it. Good luck to you. Also if the skull is real brittle after the entire process you can cover it with a matte finish modge podge and it will make it a lot more solid.

Nice man, thanks for the info!

Despite bad weather my girls and I decided to do some hiking. Awesome day with my daughter's and found a bonus what appeared to be lion kill.

post-4177-0-94208500-1487599952_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-32573400-1487600311_thumb.jpg

post-4177-0-14567300-1487600443_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Jeez another dead head! Thats awesome man!

• Like 1