AZLance

Planting a Food plot

I have some land here in southern AZ that is old farm land and thought about planting some kind of wildlife food plot to attract wildlife. Anyone have any experience trying this? Wondering what type of seed you planted and what time of year you planted it?

Wanted to try something other than large crop plants. Thinking of a type of clover, chicory, sunny hemp or small turnip or radish. Was interested in any of the Tecmate seed mixes...

You might consider planting oats. They are cheap to plant and everything seems to eat them. In addition they are a good crop for land that hasn't been farmed for a while. Plant them before it gets hot this spring.

Cannabis

When I said I wanted to attract wildlife... I didn't mean hippies and stoners.

• Like 9

Plant alfalfa. There's alfalfa designed for your elevation and non irrigated. It's a 20 year plant and puts nitrogen into the soil while its roots bust it up.

No tilling, no rows, no drilling. You can broadcast it by hand or with a grass seeder.

Drag the land with a tine using your truck, broadcast it and then drag again with a non tine drag. Can plant grasses with it including rye if you want a winter forage.

I grew the dryland alfalfa with a Eurasian grass at 7000' and the deer and elk came back for it year after year.

Corn is tough to grow in the desert. Several years ago I planted an acre of sweet corn, fenced it and tried to shoot every critter that tresspassed.

Tough to do when 10000 starlings descended on it and wiped it out.

If I were to try again I would try and plant some maze.

• Like 5

Cannabis

When I said I wanted to attract wildlife... I didn't mean hippies and stoners.

They would be fun to shoot though

• Like 2

You want a permanent pasture. It'll grow and produce 6-9 months a year (depending on where you are in southern AZ) if you google UofA extension permanent pasture, or other university pastures you'll get a good mix for your area and elevation. It's for cattle but if your fenced or have no cattle grazing near your place the deer will eat the same.

• Like 2

Quail Forever is part of a Pollinator Project. The local Valley of the Sun chapter will have some plots that attracts bees and butterflies and also attract birds. Contact quail Forever if you would like to participate in it at all. They will supply the seed. It would be cool if you had just a little area for that.

https://www.quailforever.org/BlogLanding/Blogs/Field-Notes/Quail-Forevers-Youth-Pollinator-Habitat-Program-A.aspx

http://www.valleyofthesunquailforever.com

• Like 2