Sign in to follow this  
DesertBull

Annealing with salt

I couldnt tell you the physics/chemistry behind it, but salt bath and quench is used a lot for heat treating certain alloys. Supposedly it does not causing the extreme distortion of finished or semi finished parts you can get from oil quenching.

I never heard of anyone doing it at home. Thats a pretty cool set up that guy has.

That is a neat little set-up. I have seen this done on an industrial scale where they use gantry cranes to lower parts into a huge tank. It never would have occurred to me to adapt the process into an at home annealing setup.

If you read the explanation from the guy doing it pay attention to the fact that he is referencing temperature in celsius, not fahrenheit, If you want try this yourself.

Pretty dang cool. I have played with a couple of torch methods that I made myself. Short of buying a true annealing machine, this seems to be a great way to go. I just order the stuff from amazon. The salts are cheap but the shipping in a killer. I have three pounds on its way. Thanks for putting this up for all to see.

I will let you know how it works.

Brent

• Like 1

Pretty dang cool. I have played with a couple of torch methods that I made myself. Short of buying a true annealing machine, this seems to be a great way to go. I just order the stuff from amazon. The salts are cheap but the shipping in a killer. I have three pounds on its way. Thanks for putting this up for all to see.

I will let you know how it works.

Brent

Talk about diving right in.

I expect you got nailed for a HAZ MAT shipping charge on the salts. Potassium Nitrate and Sodium Nitrite are both regulated for transportation by DOT as oxidizers. The way around that is to find a local source. When your shipment arrives could you check if there is a mixture % for the two ingredients? It may be easier to obtain them separately and mix them. The potassium nitrate seems to be common, I transport lots of it. One of its uses is to mix it with other chemicals to make an explosive used in open pit mines.

Maybe. I read what I needed to read to decide to try it. At the cost of good brass, and for all the other reasons to anneal your brass, I figured why not. Just wish I had read it sooner. I have been using a two torch method which I don't think does a constant job. Maybe that is just me.

There were no haz mat fees. Just cheapest option was two day priority which was $15.60 for one pound or three so I ordered three. $12 for the salt.

Love tinkering. Should have the stuff today when I get home from work

Brent

No HAZ MAT fee? That is good if you need to have it shipped. The stuff must be a weaker version of the same chemical that is below the concentration where DOT declares it to be HAZ MAT.

$15.60 to ship $12.00 of product? As a freight guy I always get a laugh out of those. They really get some people all bent out of shape.

Freight? I just took 12500 tons to Phoenix with 22000 horsepower. Yep, that is 25 million pounds of freight in one night at 1.76 hp/ton I do that almost every day. Time is money my friend. I don't have time to chase down a couple pounds of salt. Would have paid less if there was a option from his site. Really not that bad. I just mailed 8 oz to Phoenix for $6.95.

As far as weaker, I am just trying to heat up a couple of cases at a time. I guess I will be the fool if it doesn't work, but it is my money.

Brent

• Like 1

22000 HP, is that 4 to 5 locomotives? My Peterbilts 450 HP sounds weak in comparison. No, I'm not experiencing HP envy but I must admit I am a little jealous you get your own personal "road" to drive on and I don't.

Weak was a poor choice of words on my part. It would be a different composition of the compound that lacked the qualities that would get it regulated as HAZ MAT. The important detail is that it remains stable as a liquid at around 800 to 900 deg F. and doesn't do anything to chemically alter the brass.

I just ran 100 cases through the torch and socket routine this morning. I never feel that I get them all done evenly that way. The salt bath idea seems like it would be easier to produce a consistent outcome.

Freight? I just took 12500 tons to Phoenix with 22000 horsepower. Yep, that is 25 million pounds of freight in one night at 1.76 hp/ton I do that almost every day. Time is money my friend. I don't have time to chase down a couple pounds of salt. Would have paid less if there was a option from his site. Really not that bad. I just mailed 8 oz to Phoenix for $6.95.

As far as weaker, I am just trying to heat up a couple of cases at a time. I guess I will be the fool if it doesn't work, but it is my money.

Brent

Have you been able to try this yet?