Sign in to follow this  
DIYFamilyMan

2005 F150 4x4

Hey fellas, thinkin bout buying a 2005 f150 with the 5.4L triton, with 140,000 miles on it. I know that there were issues with spark plugs and timing components right around this time. Does anyone here have any experience with that year of engine? Either good or bad experience?

I have a 99 expedition with the 5.4. Ive had a couple ac compressors fail and have metal shards through the ac system. Not an engine problem though. I blew the engine in it due to not keeping the oil level up, my fault not the engine. The only issue I had with it was the flywheel broke a couple of teeth off and I had to replace it. And just recently the starter started to fail and messed the new flywheel up. After the new engine and other stuff I needed to fix I knew I'd never get my money back so now it's my badass huntin rig. Overall, pretty good engine I would say.

I don't have one, and never would. The spark plug fiasco was a disaster in those 3 valve motors. The poorly designed plugs break off in the cylinder heads. There was a large class action lawsuit with them that Ford lost. Stay away! gearheads.com listed it as one of the 5 trucks you need to avoid buying.

http://gearheads.org/five-used-trucks-you-should-never-consider-buying/4/

• Like 1

If you can avoid them I would. I researched them like crazy hoping to convince myself but everywhere I read they were bad news. A few guys here and there get lucky but by far the majority have had bad luck with them one way or another. Save up for one with the newer engine (2010 and newer I believe) or look for a different brand truck.

still running my 06 never any engine issues5.4 triton..extra careful when changing plugs 157 K and strong as ever

• Like 1

Love my 06. Did have issues with broken plugs but used the Lisle tool with no issues. I'd buy it again!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I used to have an '02 with the 4.6L and was impressed with how bullet proof it seemed to be, just wasn't sure about the 5.4. This truck I'm lookin at has been garage kept it's whole life and consistently maintained, super clean. Haven't drove it yet or heard it run, that'll obviously be the make it or break it point.

Have an 07 with 137k on it. Sparplugs aren't that big of a deal. Bad design, pain in the butt yeah but not a deal breaker. Did mine myself, broke the very last one, took 45 minutes to pull. Hardly the end of the world.

The hubs are a bad design as well. Vacuum leak can cause them to ruin splines if you don't fix it early. Full replacement on mine cost me $600. Still not the end of the world, especially if you know how to avoid it.

I know of a couple of guys that are right around 300k on their 5.4's. They blew spark plugs, fixed em and seems as if their trucks have otherwise been bulletproof. I would buy one if the price is right.

if you get the phaser eliminator than you won't have problems with them. just make sure you keep up on the normal maintenance and they are just as good as any other truck in the gas verity

To fix spark plug issues all you need to put anti sieze on them and change them every 50k and you're good. I too have buddies that have over 300k on their 5.4s, great trucks.

I have an 08 with 150k on it no problems. When You look at the other choices,Dodge or Chevy spark plug doesn't sound like to bad of a problem...........BOB!

I'll disagree with everyone, a 3v Triton is a great motor. Maintenance is key to this engine, I personally drive a 3v triton. If you want to stay away from it then you need to go to atleast a 2011, but then your options are the 5.0L which have issues with the cylinders turning into a egg shape, or the ecoboost which have issues with breaking piston skirts, but what would I know...... Yes a older 2v Triton is technically a better engine with a lot less issues, but good luck finding a nice one with low miles. As far as 4x4 issues you don't see that many, the hubs are not a bad not a bad design, sounds like somebody has diagnosed improperly. Pm me if you want to know more.

Carfax reports that the oil has always been changed every 4 to 5 thousand miles, and has had 3 full fluid services in gear boxes and diffs since it was new, almost every 50,000 miles. New plugs were done 20,000 miles ago. Seems that the previous owners took care of it, can't wait to just go see,listen, and drive it. Hopefully it all checks out and I can have a truck again. Thanks for the advice guys!