Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Anyone hunt Rio's in New Mexico?

By the distribution map, they are around Socorro on the Rio Grande. Can it be that easy? Any experience with the area, is it all private?

Thanks!

• Like 4

Hmm interesting never knew they had Rio's around the Socorro area now you have me interested that's just a hop skip and a jump from me. I use to hunt snow geese in that area above the Bosque del Apache Wildlife refuge let me see what I can find out and see if my friends still have access to the farm land we hunted there.

• Like 3

That would be something I would really really be interested in doing to add to my turkey grand slam.

• Like 1

Yes, there are Rio's in the Rio Grande Valley around Socorro with plenty of open land along the river to hunt. However, from my experience it's super difficult to find a bird off the Bosque Del Apache refuge and the hunting pressure is pretty heavy. With the limited river habitat, it doesn't take long for the few birds outside of the refuge to get hammered.

• Like 1

Hmm interesting never knew they had Rio's around the Socorro area now you have me interested that's just a hop skip and a jump from me. I use to hunt snow geese in that area above the Bosque del Apache Wildlife refuge let me see what I can find out and see if my friends still have access to the farm land we hunted there.

I've known about them for quite a while, but forgot about them. They were on my list for a few years, butvi never got motivated enough to go. And, they're real Rios, too!

• Like 1

I've known about them for quite a while, but forgot about them. They were on my list for a few years, butvi never got motivated enough to go. And, they're real Rios, too!

are you trying to say the turkey's Syd will be hunting in Kansas aren't real Rio's maybe they aren't real turkey's. :D

are you trying to say the turkey's Syd will be hunting in Kansas aren't real Rio's maybe they aren't real turkey's. :D

The turkeys Syd will be hunting are an intergrade between Rios and eastern. But then, how do you have hybrids with subspecies?