Sign in to follow this  
THE OUTDOORSMANS

New Swarovski BTX

I agree. I think there will be a fair amount of light reduction. Nice to be the first kid on the street with one, but I'll wait to see it. I wonder if it will be at the game and fish expo?

I just listened to the Jay Scott pod cast where he talked about the product. Great pod cast! I really want one, but unfortunately there is no way I can afford to spend $6,000 on one!!!!

• Like 2

Binoviewers have been around a long time. Till now, primarily utilized by astronomers. No doubt, Swarovski will produce a robust unit suitable

for use by the outdoor crowd. Swarovski's decision to produce the BTX is a breakthrough. The purpose of my post is to make potential users

aware that a binocular eyepiece reduces light transmission of a given objective size to 50% for each eye. Additional light transmission

is lost "splitting the image". This issue is hotly debated among astronomers. The astro folks agree that due to what they call

binocular amplification, the brain will see approximately 70% image brightness of a single eyepiece.

I did some calculations based on the 70% value stated by the astronomy crowd. A 95mm BTX rig should be the equivalent of a 78mm true binocular.

At 35X and Swaro quality, it ought to be amazing. I believe the 1.7X Barlow could be an issue in low light. Did not do the calcs for the 65mm or the 85mm.

Doubt the 65mm is a candidate for low light work with the BTX eyepiece. IMO, Swaro hit a homer but the larger objectives (85/95) will be necessary to fully

take advantage of the BTX eyepiece.

I'll know how it works with the 95mm sometime in May.

I just listened to the Jay Scott pod cast where he talked about the product. Great pod cast! I really want one, but unfortunately there is no way I can afford to spend $6,000 on one!!!!

got to ask where did you find the podcast?

http://jayscottoutdoors.blogspot.com/p/podcast.html

Go to the "viewer" and on the top right corner of the viewer, is a button that has the podcasts. I guess this scope is not in the US yet.

The 1.7 magnification option is great just for the spotter! I am looking forward to see how much light is lost.

Info on binoviewers:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/553479-do-binoviewers-reduce-exit-pupil-size/

If you so choose, you can read about binoviewers till your eyes bleed on this site.

A while back I had considered purchasing 4 or 5" refractor for use with a binoviewer. Utilizing astronomy

equipment would yield a ton of options as to magnification and FOV....... but there is no way astronomy

gear will hold up to the pounding outdoorsman tend to give optics. Also, most astronomy gear is not

sealed/nitrogen purged so there is the fogging issue. Swarovski BTX is truly groundbreaking. Made for us.

Unfortunately, it is out of my price range.

Hopefullly some 15s get off loaded after this hits the streets. And incan finnally own a pair of high end binos.

So, no one has peeked thru them yet? Not one review?