bonecollector

Draw progress

I talked with AZGFD yesterday about my portal. They made it sound like all the assumptions will be put to rest at some point next week.

What assumptions? Everything's pretty straightforward on the portals. Just waiting for results
  • Like 2

Not sure if this has been mentioned...Has someone herd (pun intended) the rumor that the AGFD puter was only going through first choice on application, and if not drawn, 2nd choice was not an option and your app was considered dead? They had to reprogram and that was the delay? Just curious. Still enjoy hunting Arizona, only 5 years more for my Pioneer license lol

Well I'll offer my aged input on this "annual discussion" one more time for the record this year. IMHO our current draw system is about 60% luck and 40% mathematical statistics considering how the bonus points factor into the equation. I've said annually the system could be improved if the numbers were inverted..... whereby the system was more 60% mathematical bonus point driven....... but still retaining a 40% or so element of luck. This could be accomplished by squaring the bonus points and I have statistically proven it to AGFD. They have not shown interest since I first proposed it about 12 years ago.

The luck of the draw is hard to swallow sometimes. For example I have personally been very lucky drawing elk tags in my lifetime.... whereas my brother has drawn only 4 tags in 46 years of applications. Additionally, I am aware of many friends that once they draw a September elk tag (which you all know is challenging) they often then draw 2 out of the next 3 years. I have formerly guided two hunters that drew September gun elk tags with less than 2 bonus points. What also makes the unsuccessful tag applications tough to swallow at my age is knowing you may never again be drawn in our lifetime! There are numerous options to improve on our system even though I and many others think it is superior to many other state draw systems. The hitch is..... that when I have suggested improvements in the past the majority of hunters in public meetings and on this forum seem to prefer the current system and current luck verses mathematics ratio in the formula.

Its a system designed to make you feel like you have a butt ton of points so you stay in the game and keep buying in Then you realize that the guys that have been in for 1 year longer than you have a butt ton x butt ton of points

• Like 3

I don't think there is anything anyone can do about the draw. Unless there was a way to be charged and immediately notified of what it is you were drawn for then we will always throw out conspiracy theories and hate mail during this time of year and in June/July for the fall hunts lol

Unless I am drawn every year for the hunt I want I know I will be disappointed- no draw system that is FAIR to others will change that

• Like 1

Alpine, since you brought up "aged input", I had a flashback of the early years of the Bufalo draw when we would go down to G&F on draw day and go into a room where there was a wire basket wiith a handle on it with the aps in it. They would give it a spin and pull an ap...then repeat. Do you think? nawwww.. I guess that wouldnt work now lol

• Like 1

G&F should use a 900 number for draw questions. Have you guys seen the new customer service directer, she could operate it. B)

IT's all talk, until we see some pics!

AZNative- Ahhh yes the old barrel system provided me a lot of elk tags by taking advantage of centrifugal force and putting in my application on the last available day! My % of successful tags has taken a significant hit since that darn computer took over for the old barrel system. Of course giving up the late gun hunt to focus on September trophy hunting also has played a part of me being less successful drawing elk tags the last 27 years. I'm somewhat gratified now if at least one family or friend draws a September tag to fill that important void!

we know $$$$ are important on any draw decision - especially offering more tags in areas / un its that have show limited # of available animals to tag due ti]o over tags the last 8-10 yrs but it still continues .

we need a waiting period of minimum 2 yrs if you are successful in the draw .

you would still be able to buy bonus points for those waiting yrs - this way G&F isn't loosing application fees and when u apply the 3 rd yr you enter with

4 bogus points 2 u paid for plus loyalty and hunter ed.

if the went to a 3 yr wait -- it would easily rotate some 100,000 hunters getting drawn - it would completely eliminate the 10- 12 bogus points to get drawn for elk deer etc. and also improve odds on other species.

way too easy to be considered and the tags would still sell out every yr. -- if not there might actually be more leftovers which is great for those waiting - who would also be able to apply for leftover tags