bonecollector

Draw progress

That's why it was great, get drawn can't put in for 3yrs, now of course back in the day there were no bonus points or app fees, the good old days..

$13 app fees though. They couldn't collect them if there was a 3 year wait

By the numbers, I am pretty sure the 3 year wait would NOT move the percentages one way or the other. The People that get 2 or 3 bull tags in a three year span are the exception not the rule. Excluding TJ of course, he is an anomaly.

• Like 2

I talked with AZGFD yesterday about my portal. They made it sound like all the assumptions will be put to rest at some point next week.

What assumptions? Everything's pretty straightforward on the portals. Just waiting for results

Assumptions if you drew choice #1 or choice #2.

I had to do a paper app so am anxious as all get out for the portal to be updated.

idk if it would be better or not im just saying theres no way game and fish is going to miss out on all those app fees

Also a few resident license fees and even more non-resident

if you just want a bonus point- do not they still charge you the application fee now -- if not the raise it to 13

hunters are going to buy license anyway -

I've also said for yrs - they never changed how the draw process works - change how the numbers are randomly assigned or something - gotta be a way

Why would a non-resident Elk hunter buy a license if they can't draw a tag? I'm sure there are a few residents that also only hunt Elk.

Some young'uns on this board may not be aware that in the 1970's (when I first started applying for elk) AGFD did have the system previously discussed whereby when you successfully drew a tag you had to wait until year three to reapply for your next elk tag. I really didn't mind that system at the time because I was drawing a tag every 3 years compared to every 6-10 years now! Things have changed since then with many more hunters putting in for less tags in most units. Also, archery elk hunting interest has exploded. In the 1970's and early 1980's it was real easy to draw an archery elk tag. Much different than the current situation unfortunately. That's why I look back at the 1980's and 1990's as the best era for elk hunting...... with the peak elk herd size, and great chances to elk hunt year in and year out.

• Like 1

Some young'uns on this board may not be aware that in the 1970's (when I first started applying for elk) AGFD did have the system previously discussed whereby when you successfully drew a tag you had to wait until year three to reapply for your next elk tag. I really didn't mind that system at the time because I was drawing a tag every 3 years compared to every 6-10 years now! Things have changed since then with many more hunters putting in for less tags in most units. Also, archery elk hunting interest has exploded. In the 1970's and early 1980's it was real easy to draw an archery elk tag. Much different than the current situation unfortunately. That's why I look back at the 1980's and 1990's as the best era for elk hunting...... with the peak elk herd size, and great chances to elk hunt year in and year out.

I remember putting in for 5B, not getting drawn, so we went down to the G&F office & bought an archery bull tag for units 1, 2, 4, & 27! I started hunting in the late 70's... Horton Creek in unit 27, Boggy, Centerfire, & Wildcat Creeks in unit 1, & Chevelon Butte in 4. Those hunts were so much fun, back before diaphragm calls, & using gas pipe or straight pipe bugles! I also started using an Olt quail call to mimic cow elk & having a ball, & in the early 80's hearing people using diaphragm turkey calls to sound like bulls. Also the year the Larry Jones elk bugle came out & how great we thought it sounded (I believe I still have mine BTW).

Probably dating myself some... :/

• Like 2

BTW Alpine..., the 3 year wait was only for rifle elk tags, not archery as I recall... or was it both, but since there were always leftover tags for the 1-2-4&27 hunt we could just buy it after the draw?

• Like 1

Thing I think is interesting is my dad always tells me about how easy it was to draw the early rifle tags and the first elk that showed itself died. You killed a spike and everyone was just as happy for you as if you'd killed a 420 bull today. Sounds like things were a lot more simple then and more fun/less stressful. Nowadays you kill a 350 bull with your bow and people want to know why you wasted your tag when in reality a 350 bull is bigger than 90% of all elk ever killed by hunters.

• Like 3

Thing I think is interesting is my dad always tells me about how easy it was to draw the early rifle tags and the first elk that showed itself died. You killed a spike and everyone was just as happy for you as if you'd killed a 420 bull today. Sounds like things were a lot more simple then and more fun/less stressful. Nowadays you kill a 350 bull with your bow and people want to know why you wasted your tag when in reality a 350 bull is bigger than 90% of all elk ever killed by hunters.

I know we typically passed on spikes, but never on any adult bulls.

I remember putting in for 5B, not getting drawn, so we went down to the G&F office & bought an archery bull tag for units 1, 2, 4, & 27! I started hunting in the late 70's... Horton Creek in unit 27, Boggy, Centerfire, & Wildcat Creeks in unit 1, & Chevelon Butte in 4. Those hunts were so much fun, back before diaphragm calls, & using gas pipe or straight pipe bugles! I also started using an Olt quail call to mimic cow elk & having a ball, & in the early 80's hearing people using diaphragm turkey calls to sound like bulls. Also the year the Larry Jones elk bugle came out & how great we thought it sounded (I believe I still have mine BTW).

Probably dating myself some... :/

Some?

• Like 1

Why would a non-resident Elk hunter buy a license if they can't draw a tag? I'm sure there are a few residents that also only hunt Elk.

You can thank USO for that.

• Like 1