Sign in to follow this  
ctracingraptor

Increasing draw length...

New to archery and i got a hand me down bow to try out, to see if i like the whole idea of it. Eventually i will buy a bow that fits me perfectly, the problem i have is with the bow maxed out it still feels a tad to short, this might be a dumb question, but are there any tricks to increasing the draw length by half an inch? I imagine increasing the d-loop will increase my draw length, but will have any adverse effects on accuracy? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best bet is have your draw length measured and a pro shop adjust the bow accordingly. Correct draw length is critical to your accuracy.

Depending on the bow, the pro shop you take it to will either adjust the settings on the cams or install new mods/cams as needed to hit your proper draw length, AFTER they have measured it.

I understand how all of that works, but the bow is already at max adjustment for draw length, I was just curious if there was a way to cheat an extra half and inch to see how it feels?

What bow is it? Some bows have draw stops that can be moved a little. Otherwise, I think you might be able to untwist the string a little, but draw weight will decrease slightly. I'm no bow technician, this is just from my past experiences on bows.

I understand how all of that works, but the bow is already at max adjustment for draw length, I was just curious if there was a way to cheat an extra half and inch to see how it feels?

Your first post indicated you are new to archery. A properly setup (for you) bow is key to success. If you want to see if archery is your thing at least start off on the right foot by taking it to someone that can get it properly setup for you.

• Like 1

Changing your dloop length or release will not change your draw length, only changes your anchor point. You can untwist the string and/or add twists to the cables to increase draw length. Adjusting the string will have a larger effect on draw length per twist..... adjusting the cables will have a larger effect on the draw weight but will move draw length slightly.

Removing the grip like stated above works too if that's an option on your bow.