Sign in to follow this  
Tres

They are out...

Almost stepped on this fat guy this morning. Snake avoidance training worked with the dog.

post-13062-0-09383400-1489334558_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Glad to hear your dog's training worked! Thanks for sharing.

Would you mind elaborating on how the dog alerted you? Specifically was the wind in their favor? My boy has been trained but we haven't run into the real deal yet. Thanks!

Was driving my Jeep back on the dirt portion of Peralta Trail after taking my girls on an overnight backpacking trip and there was a BMW and a Jetta stopped on the road facing each other. I pulled out a few feet to see why they were halting traffic. They stopped to allow this 5 foot diamondback crossing rights. I quickly maneuvered around the BMW and squashed the snake with my front tires and hit my brakes when my rear tires rolled on it. Rattlers don't have the right away on our roads.

• Like 15

Glad to hear your dog's training worked! Thanks for sharing.

Would you mind elaborating on how the dog alerted you? Specifically was the wind in their favor? My boy has been trained but we haven't run into the real deal yet. Thanks!

He actually didn't alert me. He was running looking for birds when I almost stepped on this guy. My dog didn't know he was there until I started dealing with the snake. My dog came running down wind from us and slammed his breaks 15-20 feet back from me and wanted nothing to do with what I had. Usually dogs will put there noses right up to something you are messing with. Some dogs get wind of the snakes and bark at the snakes. Some dogs just put their tales between their legs and avoid it all together after snake avoidance training. My dog stays away from them that is all I ask. The rest is up to me to pay attn to where I am stepping.

• Like 2

Was driving my Jeep back on the dirt portion of Peralta Trail after taking my girls on an overnight backpacking trip and there was a BMW and a Jetta stopped on the road facing each other. I pulled out a few feet to see why they were halting traffic. They stopped to allow this 5 foot diamondback crossing rights. I quickly maneuvered around the BMW and squashed the snake with my front tires and hit my brakes when my rear tires rolled on it. Rattlers don't have the right away on our roads.

Hahaha.

This is Awesome!!!! Good job, a good snake is a dead snake

awesome kidso ! their faces must have been priceless

Yeah, I'm wondering what the BMW and Jetta drivers said about that...if they did say anything.

Exactly what I would have done. I always turn around to run over a rattler if I missed it the first time. It's the easiest and safest way to kill them. I can't remember the last time I let one live if the opportunity was there to kill it.

Makes me wish it was November through February again when you could start hiking around without​ a care of running into one of those things

• Like 2

Makes me wish it was November through February again when you could start hiking around without​ a care of running into one of those things

No doubt!!! This one Tres posted is all coiled like one of the dirt clumps beside him.

As a guy who got a 1 fanged partial dose when I was youngster quail hunting I can say I don't ever want full dose venom! I had small scratch and small puncture due to my good vertical jump abilities back then but dang sure got sick That afternoon and had severe muscle cramping/spasms in calf to point of couldn't walk. Have worn snake guards since and been struck multiple time bird hunting. 😡