Big Browns

Found Old Plane Crash

Luke lost a lot of A-6's during WWII in the hills north of the base. Here's 4 of them...

http://www.aircraftarchaeology.com/crownkingat6.html

http://www.aircraftarchaeology.com/at6lakepleasant.html

I've been to the sight of a 40's era bomber crash site, east side of Rincons.

There's an F86 crash site on Burnt Mountain. The pilots body has never been located. Hunters found the crash site 15 years after the plane went down including the ejection seat.

• Like 3

There's an old forest service airtanker crash site up on the Rim. Well over 40 years. It's laying on a side of a small drainage. Huge engines and some scrap metal and wires is all that's left. Story goes the bomber was heading back to Winslow tanker base after a slurry drop on a fire but never made it.

Interesting. I would have never imagined there would be so many undiscovered, unreported crashes.

Are you going to report it to anyone?

About 15 years ago on a HAM pig hunt in 37B I found what looked like the ejection hood from a jet. I called the national guard and gave them the coordinates. Next year it was gone. I was about 5 miles south of the Gila River and a mile east of Donnelly Wash. cool find. Wish I had pics.

35 years ago today was supposed to be a good day, was my 2nd year anniversary in the USAF and I sewed on my A1C stripes the day before.

I was on duty at Luke that morning a Natl Guard KC135 was doing routine touch and goes. A civilian aircraft entered military airspace and in an unusually low cloud bank collided head-on with the tanker. I was taken to the wreckage sight the following day to answer NTSB questions concerning the wx conditions at the time of the collision. Was a nightmarish sight.

KC-135 - Fatalities

LTC James Floor, 53

Maj Truman Young Jr., 48

LTC Ted Beam, 40

TSGT Donald Plough, 47

http://arizonawrecks.com/visitthewrecks/kc135.html

Cool find, Adam. I read where there are 1200 military plane wrecks in AZ alone. Many are still out there waiting to be discovered.

Tread lightly friends, many of these wrecks are pilots, crews and airman's final resting place.

• Like 8

Reminds me of one I saw in 22N

many years ago a plane with two people crashed in the foothills of Four Peaks about 4 miles from the top and after all people were removed from the wreck and all the investigations were over I hiked up to the site to check it out .

the engine was about 100 yards from what was left of the plane .You could see where the had been taking a lot of polaroid packs laying around and I know that the pieces are still there.

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this subject. I have never came across such a thing in my outings but I still find this subject interesting.

Arizona's most famous plane crash site is in the Grand Canyon. The following is from Wikipedia:

"The 1956 Grand Canyon mid-air collision occurred on Saturday, June 30, 1956, at 10:30 am Pacific Standard Time when a United Airlines Douglas DC-7 struck a Trans World Airlines Lockheed L-1049 Super Constellation over the Grand Canyon within the boundaries of Grand Canyon National Park, resulting in the crash of both airliners. All 128 on board both flights perished. It was the first commercial airline crash to result in more than 100 deaths, and led to sweeping changes in the control of flights in the United States. The location of the crash has been designated a National Historic Landmark."

On my first raft trip down the canyon in about 1970, there were blue airliner seats scattered all across a certain hillside above us and the raft guys pulled over to the beach, allowing passenger to climb up to them. My other trips down the canyon were in the late 1980s and mid-1990s, and although we didn't stop we saw a few blue seats that hadn't been removed yet.

Incidentally, rafting the canyon is something I'd do again in a heartbeat, even at age 80.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1