dustin25

Which tripod do you use?

I just upgraded to swaro 15x56s and my vortex ssp handled my 12x's fine, but is just too shaky with any breeze with the 15s. So I thought I'd ask,what tripod do you guys use? I backpack hunt,so weight is a big consideration. I'm looking for 1)dosent vibrate,even in decent wind 2) weighs as little as possible

3)obviously,the less costly the better, hopefully in the $250 or less range.... I'm looking forward to some great suggestions from people who hunt like I do. Thanks in advance!

you can buy a fabric tripod shelf and add a rock to it to pull it down,helps to stabilize..I use a manfrotto carbon 190 cx pro with a 700 rc2 head and the shelf

• Like 4

you can buy a fabric tripod shelf and add a rock to it to pull it down,helps to stabilize..I use a manfrotto carbon 190 cx pro with a 700 rc2 head and the shelf

I use a very similar setup. Manfrotto Carbon 290 with the same 700rc2 head. The quick change plates are great. I keep one on my 10s, 15s, and spotter.

20151023_074704_zps9iyzyha4.jpg

20161119_073759_zpsa4bjouvu.jpg

• Like 1

I've used a couple models from Vanguard which are a great combo in the sub $200 price range. I had a Vortex and generally like their products but was disappointed in the tripod. I also had an Outdoorsman's tall tripod until recently. It was nice but I ultimately decided there was better out there for less. You don't need to spend over $500 to get a great tripod.

My favorite hands down has been my Slik 723CF (3.1 lbs). I didn't like the twist lock legs at first, but once I got used to them, found that I prefer them. The twist locks also go in and out of my pack a lot quicker and easier as they don't catch on things (straps, other gear, branches, etc.). Don't discount how big of a benefit this is!

After I got the Slik 723CF, I passed the Outdoorsman's down to my son to use until I decided to sell it a couple of weeks ago, and picked up the Slik 823CF. It is almost identical to the 723CF but weighs 8 ounces more. The weight gain adds a lot of stability and weight capacity rating (18 lbs vs 11 lbs), which is something I wanted to give greater stability when shooting with a tripod/Triclawps setup. Now my son will use the 723CF and I will use the 823CF. Both are right around $250 on Amazon.

I've also messed around with a bunch of different heads. For me the best bang for the buck is the Manfrotto 700rc2 or the Vanguard PH-113V. I've used them both a lot and really like them both. You will notice I have one of each on the tripods pictured. Between the two, I give the slight nod to the Vanguard. IMO the Vanguard plates release and lock on better and more smoothly. It also has a slightly higher weight capacity. But honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

post-6408-0-17492100-1489703760_thumb.jpgpost-6408-0-75171700-1489703752_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

The lighter the tripod, the less effective it will be in the wind.

When there is wind the best thing you can do is sit, do not extend the center post, use top (thick sections) of your tripod legs and try not to extend the lower skinny sections. Take off all the lens cap etc that tend to catch the wind and vibrate.

• Like 4

The manfrotto 290 carbon is a great all around tripod. I can stand and glass off the side of the road and it's solid. Or throw it in the pack and put on 3 or 7 miles. It is a bit heavy/bulky for true backpack hunting so I picked up a used Gitzo for that stuff. I also am a fan of the 700rc2 head

Chiming in on the Outdoorsmans tripod. These do everything you want and are manufactured in AZ, but they are not cheap. Their warranty is excellent. Show up with a broken one (hard to do) and they will fix it right there or take it to their shop and return it in a few days. No need for a receipt. If you have it, they will fix it at no charge.

• Like 1