AZ_SAWBUCK

How to Find ELK in Unit 1?

Wait just one minute. Is unit one better than unit 4?

I give up!

Get maps. You'll have no problem finding elk. Get a guide, and get a toad!

I drew it in 96 with only 3 points. And I will help the guy. Piss on all You haters and non helpers.....BOB! ........Sir PM Me

Step 1: Drive to unit 1.

Step 2: Open your eyes.

Step 3: You found elk in unit 1.

It is a reasonably accurate assessment. I used to spend a week in 1 & 27 each year for archery deer & turkey before the Wallow fire. However, please don't drive there with your eyes closed so you can open them when you get there. Be safe and let someone else drive. :)

One thing you are going to need to pay attention to is where the badly burnt areas are. If you have never had to move through a maze of dead trees that have fallen criscrossing each other I can assure you it is tough going.

I may still have a copy of a map that indicates how severe different areas were burnt. I will look for it if you are interested in a copy.

Step 1: Drive to unit 1.

Step 2: Open your eyes.

Step 3: You found elk in unit 1.

It is a reasonably accurate assessment. I used to spend a week in 1 & 27 each year for archery deer & turkey before the Wallow fire. However, please don't drive there with your eyes closed so you can open them when you get there. Be safe and let someone else drive. :)

One thing you are going to need to pay attention to is where the badly burnt areas are. If you have never had to move through a maze of dead trees that have fallen criscrossing each other I can assure you it is tough going.

I may still have a copy of a map that indicates how severe different areas were burnt. I will look for it if you are interested in a copy.

Oh my goodness the memory this brings back. Several years back hiked up a steep hillside and somehow found myself on the backside of a steep ridge in the the 7E peaks hunt area, by myself on a cow hunt. It was a burn and hundreds, if not thousands, of old, fully mature ponderosas littered the ground like matchsticks, and stood between me and the truck. Not sure how I wound up there but guarantee you I'll never go back. Had to crawl under, around, and over giant deadfall so many times, including dealing with little washes. Seriously contemplated letting the vultures have their way with me. Even saw two cow elk (they were scarce that trip) and did not attempt to get close enough for a shot, packing them out of there solo would have been impossible for me. I was in new boots I stupidly hadn't broken in before the hunt as well, gave myself the worst blisters of my life. By the end of the day I was begging for mercy.

Long story short I agree with that! lol.

Also pretty sure the OP is joking.

Man I sure hope I cetch one! Thanks for all the suggestions LoL.........I actually drew a late bull tag or a cow tag in a mid tier unit!!!! Can't wait till the fall!

• Like 1

IMHO-- First off congratulations on drawing a tag ! Now it all comes down to what your priorities are--Do you go and spend time learning an area if you have not been there or do you hope that someone will give you info that they have spent time on--leg work , glassing , doing what you should be doing , you know putting time in , etc.

Seems to me from what your post states--you have other priorities -- hire a guide and show up and hunt . Maybe that is an answer to your ?

No fun around here! I'll probably hire a guide possibly 2! I hate Country Thunder BTW! The only good thing that comes out of Country Thunder is the battle of the Boob Jobs!

• Like 1

No fun around here! I'll probably hire a guide possibly 2! I hate Country Thunder BTW! The only good thing that comes out of Country Thunder is the battle of the Boob Jobs!

I would say so. I'd rather stick a double barrel 12 gauge in my mouth and texture my walls and ceiling then spend a minute there.

• Like 2