CatfishKev

Container gardening for a total begginer

52 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Just another scammer. He will like to try and sell somethings. 

Yeah but hows the container gardening going?

First year sucked but I learned a lot.  Haven't done it since because I want to build proper raised beds but not at this house since I want to sell it hopefully within a year.  For now though I suck at gardening. 

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

First year sucked but I learned a lot.  Haven't done it since because I want to build proper raised beds but not at this house since I want to sell it hopefully within a year.  For now though I suck at gardening. 

Build wick planters in just about any container. You only need to water every couple weeks. This cherry tomato plant is 2 years old and produces about a gallon of fruit every couple weeks.

0613201012b.thumb.jpg.a104e8d6ac41b0a85b5ec9480163dc83.jpg0613201012.thumb.jpg.27fce59129871961f38fdc29801cd565.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, CatfishKev said:

That's pretty sweet.  

You’re not the only one with a black thumb of death on this forum amigo.  I could never get it right when I lived down in the valley, I either started too early and a late frost got me or I went too late and the heat killed everything, I was in Avondale at the time.  
this was the first year that I really hit it hard since moving, up in the Prescott area.  Our property came with pots of nice big brick planters, so I thought Man!  This is going to be awesome!!!  Turns out growing in a pine forest is no picnic either.  All your ‘sunny spots’ are only really sunny for a few hours per day, the water here is super alkaline which anything acidic hates (peppers, tomatoes, blueberries, etc), and the deer and squirrels that are soooo cute and attractive while house shopping become your mortal enemy.  However, it’s important to note if deer and squirrels are the mildly irritating ahole neighbors of your garden, the chipmunks and gophers are the devil incarnate!  I lost count of how many rodents I trapped and killed this summer, but in the end they ate more veggies than we did.
We got a really good haul on zucchinis, cucumbers and tomatoes.  A few eggplants and some strawberries.  In general though what I got the most of was a rough education.

CB317BB5-9CFD-419B-92F9-B9C219C5FEDF.jpeg

B18939C1-77C4-4EB4-B948-1A681D309ABD.jpeg

60B9AE99-717B-4370-A90E-C7E8B06D00C4.jpeg

5E1DC7B0-25E3-4377-918D-1D8DCF4A91AC.jpeg

8569509A-8072-408B-BC57-923D0125AE3B.jpeg

3874F8C2-2706-4AC9-9CA3-B06B31A5DAA8.jpeg

5A8BAFE2-D96C-4F5F-A566-515CF725E66E.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Ima have a sick indoor container perpetual garden this year.  

Anything in particular that you’ll be growing? 😜

I’m trying to keep 2 small potted papayas alive through the winter. I had a mango tree a couple years ago but I killed it transplanting it. Probably do the same to these 

• Like 1

Hey Mattys281, how did you get rid of the gophers?  I got one with a bb gun but have caddy shack guy that doesn't give me a shot.  Did you use some kind of trap?  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, twistzz said:

Hey Mattys281, how did you get rid of the gophers?  I got one with a bb gun but have caddy shack guy that doesn't give me a shot.  Did you use some kind of trap?  Thanks!

I didn’t.  Tried to flood them, but it didn’t work.  They wiped out my entire pumpkin patch, about 15 plants.  They got a few before I even knew what I was dealing with.  They dig up right underneath the plant, eat the roots and the stem, then bury their hole behind them when they leave.  I didn’t want to use poison, because my dogs have caught and ate a few rodents, so I tried to flood and trap.  They won that round.

in the future, if you’re planting melons or gourds in hills or digging out a planter bed, you have to lay down steel wire eat the bottom so they can’t get through it.