Sign in to follow this  
rambo

Want To Buy - Meat Grinder in good condition

I have a 1.5 hp Cabela's I'd sell. Since my daughters moved out not putting up several animals every year so don't need one this big. Make an offer, worst that happens is I say no.

It will spit out meat faster than you can feed it, my only complaint is it weighs 75 lbs, I only drag it out if I'm grinding 20 or more lbs, smaller batches I use my countertop grinder.

• Like 1

I would like to grind meat for Jerky, hamburger and sausage.

So the internet is telling me both 33 and 44.

I have a 1.5 hp Cabela's I'd sell. Since my daughters moved out not putting up several animals every year so don't need one this big. Make an offer, worst that happens is I say no.

It will spit out meat faster than you can feed it, my only complaint is it weighs 75 lbs, I only drag it out if I'm grinding 20 or more lbs, smaller batches I use my countertop grinder.

That's one heck of a grinder. I've got the cabelas 3/4 hp and that thing spits it out as fast as you can feed it.

Rambo, for years I used a little Krups counter top grinder, still do for small batches. It works fine and I think I paid $100 for it. It was when I got a bull elk and both daughters got cows one year that I upgraded or would have had a week into grinding, do 12 to 15 lbs then let my grinder cool off. My recommendation is if you are going to start doing your own then get a 1/2 hp grinder, it is big enough to process game but not so big it is cumbersome to use. Also pick up Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book, it has about 60 recipes for 2 to 5 lb batches, I've made about 30 of them and they are all good. And for jerky I like a simple 3 to 1 brown sugar/kosher salt brine, marinate 24 hrs and smoke or dry in the oven. You can add pepper flakes, onion or garlic powder, or other flavors to the meat just before smoking/baking.

Processing your own game is pretty easy, a flexible bladed boning knife, stiff bladed boning knife and 10" butcher knife are all you need.

• Like 2

Slim thanks for the info and advice. I will definitely pick up the book. I process my game but stick to roasts, steaks and jerky. I am hoping to have alot of Bison meat this summer so it seems to be a good time to add ground meat, summer and breakfast sausauge to my resume.

1/2 sounds like a good size for me but then bigger is better..

Slim thanks for the info and advice. I will definitely pick up the book. I process my game but stick to roasts, steaks and jerky. I am hoping to have alot of Bison meat this summer so it seems to be a good time to add ground meat, summer and breakfast sausauge to my resume.

If you're sticking to roasts, steaks and jerkey you'll love that grinder. There's a lot of meat and trimmings that can be ground up that dont make it as steak. Even some of the tougher less desirable cuts. You know the ones you end up left with after you've gone thru all the good stuff. Make sure you add some pork fat.

• Like 1

"1/2 hp Kitchener from Northern Tool."

Thanks Curtis. I like to get a good review before buying something. This model looks about right for my operation and is $50 under my budget!
This never happens I always spend over my budget.

Make sure you but big enough grinder but not too big. This is about 300lbs of bison burger I can't imagine if I had done it all with a small machine or myself for that matter. ;) Carl's custom meats in Camp Verde did it. Personally for deer I think 1/2 is cool but when we talk elk and bison especially multiples I would consider 3/4 up. I have used the small $99 units and sucky part is ya gotta push push push and then clean clean clean... 3/4 and above just eat it all! Buddy has a LEM (not sure if size) that is a struggle to keep meat in pan it goes so fast it was about $400 unit I believe. But then again we would save all our scrap and freeze and grind and make sausage all on 1 cold beautiful kinda beer day.

post-2359-0-20729800-1490381764_thumb.jpg

• Like 1