muskrat

Any landscapers here?

Moving into a new house in mid/late December. I'm going to try and do something with the backyard. No grass. Maybe a fire pit and/or BBQ, some xeriscape, a little water thing, and maybe some flagstone. I can help with the labor.. :-) Small backyard - typical new subdivision.

I own a Landscape company up here in Prescott. WE don't work down in Valley much, but Dec. wouldn't be too bad. Regardless I can help you out with some ideas/planning/construction details. First thing since the house is currently under construction, see if you can have your builder at least stub out gas to the backyard for you to tie into for the outdoor kitchen and fire pit.

Is the front yard coming landscaped as part of the home package? If so speak with whoever is landscaping the front and have them run the pressurized waterline into the backyard and leave an access stub as well as running some extra wire (3 strand) for valves from the conroller to this point as well. You will want the pressurized line to run to your water feature so that it automatically fills itself. Also make sure that the controller they install will have enough stations on it to take care of your backyard's irrigation needs. A separate electrical circuit devoted to the backyard will probably be necessary as well. This usually isn't a big deal as most electrical panels are located alongside the house and it's easy to run a line down the side of the house.

If they haven't poured the driveway or patios yet, make sure that they put a couple of sleeves in so that you can pull lines under the driveway if the need arises in the future.

As for the flagstone, If you want it to have mortared joints, you'll need to lay it on top of concrete. If they haven't poured the patio in the back, make sure that the concrete sits 3" below the threshold of the back door as you'll need to allow 2" for the flagstone to be layed on top. Most spec homes give you such a tiny pad that you'll need to extend it a bit. You DON"T want to pour this until you have run all of the necessary utilities to the new kitchen area.

Anyhow, I've got to get packing for my hunt, but hope this helps. I'll be back on the 31st if you have any questions.

take care,

Schmitty

Great info - thanks Scmitty!! Good luck on your hunt and we can touch base when you get back..

Also make sure your landscapers do not plant to close to the house. (don't void the termite barrier) as well as if

they add more concrete or pavers up to your stemwall be sure they treat it for termites because if they do not you/they will be responsible if you were to get termites in that general area. Also make sure who ever you use that they do not

impede the drainage of your lot because if you happen to get water standing/ponding in your back yard after a rain :lol:

it will not be the builders issue as well.

Btw is your house passed the drywall stage yet? Cause if it is and if you do need a gas stub in the back it probably

will have to be ran under ground by someone other than your builder.(hopefully there is one there)

Most builders do put a sleave under the drive but that is definately worth checking on.

Hope it turns out well.

Thanks - Yeah, I think the gas has been done already (not stubbed in back). Will stop by today. House is in the drywall stage now..