Sign in to follow this  
Slack40

OTC Elk

Moved to Arizona back in July from Texas, was hoping to be one of lucky ones to get drawn on my first try, didn't happen. I'm thinking about doing the OTC elk tag. I know chances of harvesting an elk are slim, but I know how many I'll shoot if I don't go at all. It'll be my first time hunting elk, so willing and eager to learn as much as I can.

Wanted to check in a see if anybody is willing to team up for this, or if anyone has some pointers that has done it before. Would love to have a crack at one with my bow, but not opposed to rifle hunting.

Also, if you're hunting close to Flagstaff and need an extra set of eyes or help packing out, feel free to reach out.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I looked into the same thing about a year ago, and found that it wasn't for me. Sorry for suggesting because I imagine you've already thought it through, but have you considered hunting Colorado OTC? You could do either rifle or bow and you have most of the state to choose from. If you're in Flagstaff you're only a few hours drive, and western and south-western Colorado have lots of elk in OTC units. The bull in my profile pic was taken OTC rifle and he's a decent 6x6 by Colorado standards. Likely bigger than most bulls on the AZ OTC hunts. Let me know if you want any info about OTC Colorado as I may be able to give you some pointers if you're interested.

• Like 1

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, and I'll start researching that this weekend. My only concern is with job, working in collegiate athletics, not sure if I can string enough days together to make the trip out to CO worth it. I'm more so looking to take my first elk, not worried about the trophy status, but really want to stock the freezer. The AZ tags are appealing because the units are close in proximity to Flag so I can sneak out in the morning or the afternoons depending on the schedule.

If there are some opportunities during late November or December, those would my bets to be able to get out there.

I imagine you are talking about the area around Winslow?? If so it is a tuff hunt to say the least closest I have gotten is full draw at 90 yes with a spike. I have had a few buddies shoot them with a rifle as well. I would go during the rut as since 99 % of the time the are found in the thick nasty salt cedars. Shoot me a pm and I can tell you more about it if you want

• Like 1

There are elk in all the OTC areas. They are all tough hunts. The Game and Fish says that the general public runs about a 1% success rate on these hunts. This means you need to scout and work your tail off MORE THAN 99% of the other hunters. They are Not typical type elk hunts by any means. I'd stick with a rifle to make the best of any Elk sighting you might have.

post-669-0-34378200-1492006747_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

There are elk in all the OTC areas. They are all tough hunts. The Game and Fish says that the general public runs about a 1% success rate on these hunts. This means you need to scout and work your tail off MORE THAN 99% of the other hunters. They are Not typical type elk hunts by any means. I'd stick with a rifle to make the best of any Elk sighting you might have.

+1 to this post-

just look at the background in these pictures! I wouldn't hunt javelina in that and these guys are dropping elk.

I'll stick with the 400" bulls in 4B.....see what I did there???

• Like 1

Appreciate the info, I believe you and I had exchanged emails about the hunt a few weeks ago.

I was one of the lucky 1%ers. I hunted hard all day for 8 days and saw 4 elk. Even with my inside info from a friend who is a local in the otc area. I took a 2 1/2 year old cow. If you are pressed for time, I suggest Lance With TLO who posted above. I believe he is still running 100% on those ots hunts. He is a great guy.

I was in the Winslow/Hollbrok area.

• Like 1

I plan on hunting that area as well. I've been looking at maps like crazy trying to find out the best way to attack this thing. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, I suppose. Either way, I'm chomping at the bit to get out and at least tell myself I'm elk hunting.