Sign in to follow this  
huntlines

Anyone archery hunt unit 1 recently?

I found out today I drew a unit 1 archery tag. I've hunted antelope with a bow before and never been successful, I was young and had no idea what I was doing. I've never hunted unit 1 before and will be making regular trips up there to scout. My concern is access issues. Has anyone hunted this recently? Is there access issues or is this unit mostly hunter friendly?

My brother had the hunt a few years ago. No real access issues. The north end, sierra montosa area, was the best area for stalking. big lake and springerville areas were hit hard by other hunters. It looked like a costume party on one particular buck, a guy in antelope suit, followed by a guy with a decoy, followed by a guy in a painters suit all went after one buck in thirty minutes.

Congratulations. I had that tag about 10 years ago. I hunted in the higher elevations south of Springerville. There were some nice meadows along 285 (Water Canyon road) and 88 that had good herds. I only met 2 other hunters the whole time I was there. I used to spend a week for archery deer & turkey up there every year before the fire. Access issues were never a problem.

For sure. I might as well take a leave of absence from work, because I will not be able to concentrate for the next 8 months.

Apparently getting

your fix after 17 plus years of withdrawal can make you cross dress an anrelope.

Apparently getting

your fix after 17 plus years of withdrawal can make you cross dress an anrelope.

I think I now, including this years, have had 5 tags in that time. All archery.