kazpilot25

5BS Early Archery Bull

After many years of waiting, I finally drew my very first bull elk tag. I'll be hunting bull elk in 5BS in September, and I can't wait! With that being said, I don't know jack squat about that unit. I've hunted in 6A, but never ventured over into 5BS. From what I understand, the majority of the hunters will be around Hutch Mountain, but so will a majority of elk.

If anyone has some pointers to get me started in the right direction I'd definitely appreciate the help. I can offer up some knowledge on other units, just not this one.

Thanks guys!

• Like 1

Get out and learn the country. Get some miles on your feet this spring and into summer. Find the cow herds and you will be just fine.

• Like 2

I've killed multiple bulls over the years in 5bs. IMO one of those units that holds a ton elk in just about every part of the unit. Expect alot of 250"-300" type bulls and a few that will go 340"+. Long lake, soldier annex etc are all great areas to scout.

I'd recommend volunteering for the youth turkey camp in 6A as there will be kids there with OTC tags for 5B. Great way to help the next generation of hunters and start to learn the unit.

• Like 5

I've killed multiple bulls over the years in 5bs. IMO one of those units that holds a ton elk in just about every part of the unit. Expect alot of 250"-300" type bulls and a few that will go 340"+. Long lake, soldier annex etc are all great areas to scout.

That's exactly what I've heard. There are a ton of elk, just not many that are huge. I'm actually good with that since it's my first bull hunt. I wanted something where I'd have some action almost every day. I'm not after a monster this time around, just something respectable and a good time.

I'd recommend volunteering for the youth turkey camp in 6A as there will be kids there with OTC tags for 5B. Great way to help the next generation of hunters and start to learn the unit.

This right here, too. We need mentors and those of us who have taken kids out can point you in directions in 5BS!

Pick a spot and there will be elk there. If size of animal is not an issue then you will have opportunity all the time. I passed on 8 bulls 35-50 yards last year. I got too picky and came home empty but had an absolute blast. It is my favorite unit.

• Like 4

The kids got this unit for Jr.s Cow. We're going to be spending a lot of time in this unit come August/Sept. - I've never really hunted here.

Spend a few weekends at some hotspots and I'm sure it'll come together.

I say somebody that knows this unit well, help this guy out!

I'd help buddy but never been there.

• Like 3

If you go to the next bcha pint night on April 19 I'll have some first hand info for you. I had a bout 9000 photos, 10 days of scouting and 10 days hunting that tag. I'll be scouting 5bn a bunch this year also.

• Like 1

If you go to the next bcha pint night on April 19 I'll have some first hand info for you. I had a bout 9000 photos, 10 days of scouting and 10 days hunting that tag. I'll be scouting 5bn a bunch this year also.

Thaswassup.

I'll be out there hunting as well. New unit for me too! I love learning a new unit, meeting and speaking with other hunters that have hunted it in the past and the anxiety leading up to opening day. I'll be heading there as soon as my flatline map arrives. Good luck - stay in touch if you like.

Wade

I have taken 2 bulls and a few cows in the unit, all archery. I don't hunt around Hutch Mountain. Take a look at the NW corner of the unit. You say you are familiar with 6A so you have probably seen huge groups of elk in Mormon Lake. If the group is at the SE end of the lake it will cross Lake Mary road into the NW corner of 5B S when it is done feeding. I have also hunted down in the south end of the unit and found good spots. I know some people who come in off the 87 side and do well over there.

• Like 1