justinspe25

Antler Handle Knife

Hello,

I have been looking for a kit to make a antler handle knife for my son who found a shed. I can't find any, i checked online, sportmans etc. Maybe they don't exist and I just have to wing it!!! Anyone know of such a thing? I have watched some youtube vids, but most of those guys are complete custom and I don't have alot tools they have. I am looking for something that has the blade and, glue or accessories etc and I just have to cut the antler and assemble.

Thanks for the input!

Antlers are porous so they absorb blood and water and grow bacteria.

My buddy build me a custom knife with a coues antler I found. He used a small vacuum chamber to pull clear wood hardner into it to seal it.

I'm sure there's plenty on line info about the process he made it seem like it's common among blacksmiths.

As long as the antler is dry it will be fine. you only need the proper apoxy and use pins for even more strength. This is a knife my father made in the 80's. its still looks the same today.

post-15141-0-84590100-1490844625_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Make your own. There's ton of info on the web. Basically all you need is a junk of good steel, charcoal, hammer, files or belt sander and something to act like an anvil. I'm almost finished with this. Lots of firsts for me, simple filework on the spine, antler handle, guard and butt plate. I did use epoxy inside the handle and on the ends. sorry for the bad cellphone pics

post-8587-0-17977500-1490929845_thumb.jpg

post-8587-0-08269900-1490929857_thumb.jpg

• Like 3