Sign in to follow this  
balerjoe

10X42 SLC vs 10X42 El's

I am looking to upgrade from my 2010 10X42 SLC WB Swaro's to a newer model.

Are the el's worth the extra money? Or are the new HD SLC better for the money? Are the 8.5X42 el's a better option in open country like New Mexico?

I wanted to see if anyone has had gone through this and what the pros and the cons.

I am looking to upgrade from my 2010 10X42 SLC WB Swaro's to a newer model.

Are the el's worth the extra money? Or are the new HD SLC better for the money? Are the 8.5X42 el's a better option in open country like New Mexico?

I wanted to see if anyone has had gone through this and what the pros and the cons.

Yes, I can help you with these questions. My name is Larry Chapman my phone number is 512-431-6775.

The ELs are slightly higher quality glass but I would go with the SLC because they are a more rugged design. I have 10x42 ELs and have had to send them in 3 times due to misalignment, always fixed under warranty of course but just not as rugged as the SLC design.

As for power, my vote is 10x over 8.5x, especially in open country.

Balerjoe that is a great question! The new SLC are a phenomenal piece of glass, they are truly an upgrade over the older models, but they still fall short of the ELs. The ELs have better coatings, field flattening lenses, and a more ergonomic feel in my opinion. I don't think you could go wrong with either option in the 10x power range.

If you are looking for a smaller neck glass I would take a hard look at the EL 8x32. They have a wider FOV and all the benefits of the EL glass in a much more compact size than the 8.5x42s.

Thank you

Jake

• Like 3

8's over 10's all day long. Better exit pupil. The extra powers is no advantage in a neck bino. My opinion