1denogean

backpacking tents.... what are you guys using?

Do any of you backpack hunt in the winter? Not in the desert, in the mountains (snow). I have a late bull tag in 23. Was thinking about trying do to a couple of overnighters to save some long dark cold hikes.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Just over 2 lbs and is perfect size for me and my gear. They have excellent customer service as well! Broke a pole last year and they fixed it for free

x2 for the BA Fly Creek UL2

• Like 1

DB. I have done my fair share of winter backpack hunts both here in the Show Low area and AK. As long as you are prepared it is a great way to go. On the flip side nothing is worse than being unprepared.

IMO order of importance

1. Sleeping bag and tent

2. Plenty of fuel to heat water. I've spent many days standing around in blizzard like conditions drinking hot water with anything for flavor.

3. Good boots and a way to,dry them

4. Camp chair to get you off the ground if you will be in the snow.

I'm sure there are other things more important but these are high on my list.

As of late, I have been using a Nemo Hornet 2p. Loving this tent. Side entry with vesitbules on both sides. With the footprint, poles, stakes, and tent, you are looking at 3 pounds.

I am down to 2 tents now, eureka solo for summer and rei 2 man for late season. Former is 1.2 lbs and latter is 4 lbs. I use a cheap 30 degree for summer 2 lbs and for late season I use a bivy sack with the same 30 bag but I bring a felt liner as well, still just over 3 lbs. Thermarest pad all the way now. No more hard foam.

I always run full tents just for bug reasons and critters. Seem to have zero issues with tents but when I used to bivvy it I would have bug and mice issues.

You don't want to hear my spider stories. Lol

The rei tent has dual vestibule and entry which is the best.

I think I am going to ditch the pump filter this August???

Going to try the sawyer mini and inline it with dirty bag of 6L. Save some weight and pumping.

I have a Slumberjack 1-person bivy?? tent. It's been great when I've used it, which is pretty rare. I actually just cleaned out the garage and my camping gear. This is in my pile of stuff to get rid of. If anyone is interested and would put it to good use shoot me a PM.

I have a big Agnes flycreek ul3 that I bought for my kids to take. I have a hilleberg atko if I go solo or a hilleberg kaitum 3gt if I go with someone.

Guest oneshot

Hammock, sleeping bag and rain pancho for cover... if it's gonna snow, I make a shelter from brush or under a low hanging pine...

Do any of you backpack hunt in the winter? Not in the desert, in the mountains (snow). I have a late bull tag in 23. Was thinking about trying do to a couple of overnighters to save some long dark cold hikes.

Backpack hunting in the SNOW/COLD you must have a way to dry your boots and clothing. You can do most of your cooking on the stove and warm up after being out all day long when the temperature is in the teens or much colder. A heated tipi is light, and gives plenty of space for its size.

I have Seek Outside four man and large stove, its a little big when your by yourself but I can stand up to stretch when waiting out a storm. Lots of room for fire wood, and I stand up to get dressed. It can with stand a blizzard and weights only 7. 3 pounds with stove. They make smaller tipis and up to a 24 man tipi. If get on their mailing list they have second sales, I only paid $530 for my 4 man.

https://seekoutside.com/

• Like 2

Kifaru Sawtooth shelter with medium stove, weighs just under 10 lbs for both, no floor, plenty of room for 2 people and a stash of firewood

• Like 1

Backpack hunting in the SNOW/COLD you must have a way to dry your boots and clothing. You can do most of your cooking on the stove and warm up after being out all day long when the temperature is in the teens or much colder. A heated tipi is light, and gives plenty of space for its size.

I have Seek Outside four man and large stove, its a little big when your by yourself but I can stand up to stretch when waiting out a storm. Lots of room for fire wood, and I stand up to get dressed. It can with stand a blizzard and weights only 7. 3 pounds with stove. They make smaller tipis and up to a 24 man tipi. If get on their mailing list they have second sales, I only paid $530 for my 4 man.

https://seekoutside.com/

I looked into going with a teepee but I mostly hunt in the desert and there are too many critters and bugs moving around for my liking. I would love to try one up in snow country. I will get on their email list.

^^^ The quality of the Seek Outside tipi is excellent, I like them better then Kifaru shelters because they add storm flaps on the zippers, I also like their stoves over Kifaru. The owner of seek outside used to work for Kifaru. The next time they send me a second sale ad I will forward the email to you catusjack.

• Like 2

^^^ The quality of the Seek Outside tipi is excellent, I like them better then Kifaru shelters because they add storm flaps on the zippers, I also like their stoves over Kifaru. The owner of seek outside used to work for Kifaru. The next time they send me a second sale ad I will forward the email to you catusjack.

Awesome. But don't tell my wife.

I like the Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy and have been in a both sleet/heavy rain and a couple light snow storms with it. The Bug Bivy is definitely excellent if you are not concerned about rain or snow (June). I also like the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, I don't think they sell it anymore and replaced it with the Fly Creek. Their customer service is great. I have put a few holes in the tent and they repaired it quickly and speedily with minimal or free charge (can't remember). If you want a serious 4-season packable winter proof tent, Black Diamond and North Face I believe have some good options but they are not cheap.