Sign in to follow this  
chase_christopher

Chainsawing Coolers!

wished he could open a Coleman cooler (like the Walmart type) so I could see the difference in insulation.

• Like 1

wished he could open a Coleman cooler (like the Walmart type) so I could see the difference in insulation.

Google machine pulled this up, looks like cheaper insulation... Some of the cheaper ones have Styrofoam insulation sprayed with foam.

cut-in-half.jpg

• Like 2

I like being in camp for 4-5 days without a need to do a town run for ice. Cold beer is very important.

• Like 2

Put some weather stripping between the lid and the cooler box and your ice will last just as long in decent cooler. you can buy alot of stripping for the price of a yeti or canyon cooler.

Put some weather stripping between the lid and the cooler box and your ice will last just as long in decent cooler. you can buy alot of stripping for the price of a yeti or canyon cooler.

I've got a yeti, grizzly, and rtic. Not so much Ice retention that's my favorite but the fact you can beat them up and not break latches and hinges every year is pretty nice

Latches are cheap to replace. To each his own, I have had the same igloo cooler for 10 years and it has been bounced around and banged up in numerous trucks, jeeps, and rangers etc. and it still works great. I am personally not paying 4-500 dollars for a cooler that's a complete waist and other than marketing from the manufacturer I see no reason to have one unless I get it at a raffle or somewhere else for free. I have used my igloo in the same camp as friends and had the same results at a fraction of the price. Yeti coffee cups are bad azz, but now everyone makes one. I did pay 40$ for the cup, it was the only one at that time.

I do not understand everyones' hard-ons over these dang coolers and cups.

What has become of all of us hunters that we are such suckers for marketing?

Truer words have never been spoken. Not to mention they perform identically to the average Coleman or Igloo cooler

I do not understand everyones' hard-ons over these dang coolers and cups.

What has become of all of us hunters that we are such suckers for marketing?

Truer words have never been spoken. Not to mention they perform identically to the average Coleman or Igloo cooler

have you ever used one? the weight of them definitely sucks. i like how sturdy they are though

My biggest gripe about these high end coolers is the size and weight. They take up twice as much room on the outside for the same space on the inside. I have a pelican 65 and I hate it. It's so heavy it's a pain to load into the pickup or boat empty and defitely a two man job when it's full. I originally bought it to just keeep ice in when we hunted unit 13 in NM and it was 70 miles to ice. It sorta worked but I ended up buying a chest freezer brand new for less then I paid for the pelican, it not only keeps ice all trip (we run it off a inverter generator all day when not in camp) but it will hold 5-6x as much as any cooler.

• Like 2