Sign in to follow this  
wannakillabigbull

Delete

just as matter of fact - out hikin - out glassin and up extra early - climbin the highest hill - doesn't always mean a big bull

my biggest bull to date 385 - hiked in -glassed up - was killed 200 yrds off I-40 at 10:15

And probably ran right to the road and died on a small rise so all you had to do is back up the truck and lower the tailgate.

Some guys have all the luck.....lol

I have the same tag this season. I started "scouting" this past week. More or less to get familiar with a new area, also helps to look for sheds while out. It was nice seeing elk while out "scouting". I don't expect them to be in the same place once December gets here but it sure does beat being in town lol. The more time you spend out the better you will understand the layout of the unit.

I Hunt 7W for elk, a lot. Never for my own tag, but all of my lucky family members.

For those that say if you find bulls now through May, they won't be there in December, I beg to differ. We have watched specific bulls from Mid-April to December in the exact same places.

Pressure is what scatters them. Unfortunately, a lot of tags come before your hunt. But get up there and scout. You will find honey holes if you hike.

There are elk scattered all across the unit, pretty much year round except the highest elevations mid-winter.

Look for a blue Tacoma x-tra cab and silver 4 door JK in December. That will be us chasing bulls for my son-in-law, his buddy, and my cousin.

• Like 2

just as matter of fact - out hikin - out glassin and up extra early - climbin the highest hill - doesn't always mean a big bull

my biggest bull to date 385 - hiked in -glassed up - was killed 200 yrds off I-40 at 10:15

And probably ran right to the road and died on a small rise so all you had to do is back up the truck and lower the tailgate.

Some guys have all the luck.....lol

My 370 archery bull did that for me.

The pressure will not be too bad. They have 350 cow tags in late October. 175 archery tags the week before our bull hunt. That was my reason for putting in for this hunt. This hunt has 500 tags, but it's decent size unit. Come Monday and Tuesday 2/3 of the hunters will be gone,either they give up or only have time for the weekend to hunt.

There are a lot more hunts that put people in the woods than that.

Archery antelope, rifle antelope, deer, Turkey, bear, Archery deer, cow elk, early Archery bull, late Archery bull.

Sounds like you have enough elk hunting experience that you should not have to ask people on the internet for advise. Just put the time in and your experience to work and im sure you will find what your looking for. You will get better results doing your own homework than asking others for info, especially in AZ where elk tags are few and far between. good luck.

• Like 2

AzDiamondHeat ------ actually I took the power right of way corridor just below the freeway - was cool that it was the only one for miles and yes we backed to within 25 yrds , just happened that way - believe me I've paid my dues packing out many an animal over the yrs. - nice to get an easy one , once in a while .

good luck on your hunt - yes the easy next to the road spots are often overlooked and driven by those intent on hunting the roughest country - out of the way - highest mountains around

Just have fun !

There are places that get covered up with hunters every day, all day. But that is because they hold elk. My son-in-law shot his bull last day with 30 minutes left in the hunt on a hill that had at least 4-6 trucks around it and hunters on it every day.

I Hunt 7W for elk, a lot. Never for my own tag, but all of my lucky family members.

For those that say if you find bulls now through May, they won't be there in December, I beg to differ. We have watched specific bulls from Mid-April to December in the exact same places.

Pressure is what scatters them. Unfortunately, a lot of tags come before your hunt. But get up there and scout. You will find honey holes if you hike.

There are elk scattered all across the unit, pretty much year round except the highest elevations mid-winter.

Look for a blue Tacoma x-tra cab and silver 4 door JK in December. That will be us chasing bulls for my son-in-law, his buddy, and my cousin.

Lance beat me too it. If fact if you scout the unit and attempt to hunt 7w as you would Colorado you'll find your self alone and covered in elk.

• Like 2

wannakillabigbull, most people will not tell you good hunting spots or muddy roads to avoid via the internet, because then everyone from the valley will be camped out in your spot the night before the opener. I personally give lots of info to people when I meet them out in the sticks. I think if you just put some time in you and walk at least 1 mile from the you will be ahead of 97% of the other tag holders. Use the road hunters to your advantage. you will be alright if you stick to your plan and don't tell anyone on the internet what you found scouting until you have the elk packed out and at the taxidermist. don't be surprised to think you have the whole place to yourself because of the lack of people you will see on scouting trips. the night before and opening morning you will be wondering where did all these people come from. keep that in mind during scouting and how to use the flood of people to your advantage.