KaibabHunter

2016 Desert Ram

IMG_8661.jpg

Condensed version: Countless scouting days starting in August with a final push that ended up being 23 days total with a 1 shot kill at 266 yards by myself on day 8 of the hunt. Used the Tikka T3 Lite 300 win mag shooting factory 165 Barnes as discussed in other thread about building that gun. Performed perfectly.

IMG_8620.jpg

A lion had moved in and killed a lamb on day 2 and was hunting the same sheep I was chasing - scattered em. Literally lion tracks on top of sheep tracks. My 2 big rams disappeared and I ended up with my #3 ram solo diy after some very tough hunting. If only the season opened 4 days earlier...

BirdDog and my dad were there for the first 3.5 days and a huge help/thx to them! We could've killed a lesser ram on opening evening but I passed. 100% solo after that.

Once down, a good trusted friend/mentor helped me cape and pack him out of one nasty/vertical spot. Huge thx!

More than happy with this ram!

IMG_8599.jpg

Thx to all that helped and have mentored hunting the desert over the years - you know who you are. I think this was a culmination of a life time of learning and struggling to be successful at hunting. And thx to the family for understanding the significance of such an opportunity.

Checked out at 163.5 and 8 years old. Can't wait to see what Clay at Mogollon taxidermy does with him.

IMG_7852.jpg

• Like 19

Love the solo DIY on a class IV. I bet a piece of you will forever be left on that mountain. Congratulations!!

• Like 3

Very nice

• Like 1

Great job Man! The pleasure was all mine to spend some quality time in the desert and a few fires with you for sure. I am happy you were able to harvest such a beautiful ram. Congrats! I am sure Clay will turn out an awesome mount and I can not wait to see it some day.

• Like 1

KH never stated his ram was a Class 4. For clarification > wild sheep are classified by their age, not their size (rams 9 years old and older fit the Class 4 bill). Not a major deal (a chance to add to one's wild sheep knowledge). KH's sheep is a top-end Class 3 ram --- that in no way detracts from what a cool ram he tagged!

KH, my hat's off to you on a GREAT accomplishment!!! Beautiful desert sheep, and all the sweeter toughing it out at the end solo ...

• Like 1