Sign in to follow this  
ghost hunter

Ford Mechanic

I'm looking for an independent shop or mechanic that specializes in Ford trucks. More exactly, one who know alot about those dreaded 5.4 3v Triton engines. Maybe a Ford instructor?

I'm looking for an independent shop or mechanic that specializes in Ford trucks. More exactly, one who know alot about those dreaded 5.4 3v Triton engines. Maybe a Ford instructor?

Anywhere in particular?

Probably the coils.

I was gonna agree with the coils ha ha. Big time issue with that motor. That being said, we have a 99 that has 400k on it. We have dealt with the coils once or twice. Or 10

It is a 2008 and developed that 'diesel knock'. Ford dealership said no problem, you just need $7,500 motor. Between two shops and $2,000 (didn't fix problem) I spent days of research and then replaced every moving part in the front of that motor. [soliniods, cam phasers, timing chains, guides, and oil pump]. Another shop said it needs new heads.

After getting it back together, the engine code says that cam position isn't sync'd. I was super careful putting it back together, but now would like a learned second opinion.

As for location, I live in SE Az so Tucson would be nice, but willing to consider Phoenix. I had to trailer this thing back from NC so a few extra miles now doesn't seem too far.

Sounds like your engine is not only has a problem or two and has been screwed up by mickey mouse mechanics. You do need a mechanic that knows alot. You might try Jason at Affordable Diesel in Tucson. He was a Ford tech. I dont know if he works on gassers but he might know someone that does. He is a nice guy and hunts. Good luck.

I own my auto repair shop and worked for a ford dealer for 17.5 years. This sounds like it could have a few problems.

What is the base oil pressure when hot at idle In gear? They have oil pump volume problems and need at least 16-18 psi at idle to keep the cams In position. They also could have a plugged port or valve body problem on the cylinder head it has a control valve as well as the electronic solenoid that can have problems.

With attempted repairs having been performed I would reccomend a ford reman engine it will give you the best warranty and piece of mind.

Ford reman engine comes with a 3 year warranty.

Call and talk to Chris Rollins. 480-221-3384 or just text him. He has a guy that can tow your truck to his shop in Mesa next to Caswells.

He is looking for a bigger shop if anyone knows of one. He has worked on my truck more than a few times.

How far are you from Sierra Vista? I have a buddy that specializes of Fords that works on my stuff. He swapped out my engine and changed coils for me before.