Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Hearing aids for hunting?

My co-worker is seldom drawn but this year he drew an early archery bull tag. He doesn't get on the forum anymore, but wanted me to ask if anyone has any recommendations on hearing aids for hunting. He is getting up there in years and can't hear elk bugle unless he is right on top of them.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good hearing aid please post it and I will let him know.

Having ruined most of my hearing with over 60 years of hunting and shooting, I now try to preserve what I have left. Starting three years ago, I tried a variety of ear protection devices and finally settled on a set of Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic ear muffs (http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport). They are light, effective, and amplify normal sounds with a variable control, while shutting down the noise of gunshots. I can wear them all day while hunting elk or deer, and I can once again hear animals in the wild. You can't believe how nice it is to be able to clearly hear elk talking and bugling once again. All the guys in my elk camp carry two-way radios, in case someone needs help with an animal or plans change. It's nice to plug in the radio and hear transmissions in your ear protection without spooking nearby animals, especially when you are in the middle of a stalk. There are many other brands to choose from, but the Howard Leights are light enough and comfortable enough to wear all day without fatigue.

• Like 2

He just needs to get a hearing aid.

I have been using hearing aids for about 20 years, both ITC ("in the canal") and behind the ear. Both kinds are programed to shut down at loud noises, including gun shots, but neither offers any significant protection against further damage to your hearing from gunfire. Both will amplify wind noise under certain conditions, something that has never been a problem with the muffs. About all that I can add is, if you haven't been there, you really don't know what you're talking about.

• Like 2