Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Let's talk generators for travel trailers

Anybody have a portable generator with a remote start? How does the remote start work (cold weather)?

Need at least 3000 watt for the travel trailer- portable as I will need to lug it or eventually mount it.

Honda's are probably the best, but also over $2K

Champion 3100w - I had the non-remote start and was very happy with it. Probably get the model with remote. <$800

Firman?

Liflan?

Others?

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks

I have a champion with the

Cabelas name on it. Remote start has always worked. But I have not tried it in really cold weather yet. I have a 25ft cable and when inside the trailer I cannot hear the generator.

www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-outdoorsman-3800-4750-watt-remote-start-generator/1848057.uts?destination=%2Fcategory%2FGenerators-Accessories%2F1

• Like 1

Have the 3500/4000 champion and it's worked well in cold weather. Love the remote start.

• Like 1

i have the 3100w Champion Inverter like you had. Love the Champion brand. The customer service is the best. My sister has a remote start Champion and it works very well

• Like 1

I've used Honda knockoffs before and they work great!.... for a while. Now I strictly use and recommend Honda generators. One pull every time and very reliable. You can either go with the EU 3000i or go with two EU 2000i's. I personally prefer the EU 2000I as it can power everything I need and it's a lot easier on your back to move. It's recommended to have two if you are using your air conditioner, but mine powers up fine with one if I go slowly on A/C start up.

I've got a Champion with remote start and it was great until the automatic choke started having trouble. It still runs great but about 90% of the time I'll have to go start it manually adjusting the choke by hand... I had my doubts about their customer service given the budget price point but maybe I should look into it. Either way, I like mine, the only reason I'd consider something else is if it was a lot quieter.

The remote start champion from Cabelas weighs more and is slightly larger in size than the one without remote. Not a big deal if you have a strong enough place to mount it. It was to big for me to handle by myself. I hate blowing my back out getting loaded up for a hunt....also have to deal with batteries.

wanted to give an update on this topic, I ended up getting the Champion 3100W with remote. I have taken it on two camping trips (5 and 4 days each) and I absolutely love it.

The remote start is so convenient, yeah starting a generator is not hard, but for my wife or kids it can be. I have left the "on switch- on" for almost the entire time and it started every time, I was worried the battery would go dead (and the remote start not work) thus far it has not. It can still be started with the pull start.

It will push the microwave OR the A/C (not booth at the same time). Its not loud - or noticeably louder than my friends Honda.

I would recommend it any day of the week.

• Like 3