Sign in to follow this  
Jglaudel

Arizona Unit 4B

Hey guys. So I lucked out and got drawn for the Archery September Bull Elk hunt in unit 4B. This will be my first Archery Big game hunt and I am real excited. I am familiar with the southern 4B area as far as recreation goes ( driving the 170, 99, St. Joe road areas and some trails in between). We spend a lot of time in forest Lakes. I have never spent any time actually scouting the area for game and was wondering what your thoughts, advice, or recommendations are for the area. I would greatly appreciate any tips as I plan on spending a great deal of time scouting this summer. I know the southern portion of that unit gets pretty busy with campers and OHV riders during the summer so I am looking at finding spots a few miles away from roads and hiking it in and out. If anyone is actually willing to give some good solid location areas and would rather private message that info than blast it on the web for all to see just send me a message. Thank you all.

There are no secret spots in 4b, so don't worry about trying to find them. Elk are literally EVERYWHERE in the unit. Flats, canyons, transitions....everywhere. Just decide what terrain you want to hunt and go find a dozen or so spots. You will want multiple backup plans. Because there are so many roads, you WILL run into people. Get off the roads and you are good. If you want to be alone, go to the canyons. Nobody likes the canyons. There are definitely areas that get hit hard though.

The weekends are BAD. in addition to the hunters you have everyone else. The weekdays are nice though.

I will be up there with my wife for her first cow tag during the same time. If you want help calling or finding give me a shout. I help people every year in 4b.

• Like 3

AzDiamondHeat... Thank you for the info. I'm not afraid to go in deep and I'm prepared to pack it out. As of now I am scouting via maps looking for areas of interest to start hiking and scouting as soon as I get back up there and then to narrow down my choices by summer to focus of those and to work on calling to see what I can find. My main focus is finding those areas away from what I know are high traffic camping spots but would be doable packing in and out.

You are in for a treat my friend. Just do a search on here for past 4B hunts. Some monster come out of there every year. In my opinion, one of the better units in that so-called Mid-Tier.

I will be up there too, looking forward to a fun summer of scouting and a good strong rut in September.

• Like 2

You are in for a treat my friend. Just do a search on here for past 4B hunts. Some monster come out of there every year. In my opinion, one of the better units in that so-called Mid-Tier.

I will be up there too, looking forward to a fun summer of scouting and a good strong rut in September.

Don't believe it. Flatlander thinks he's sneaky. He will be across the road in 3c or up in 9

And if two or three bulls over 360 in the last 5 years is monsters coming out of there every year then yeah 4b is awesome. Expect lots of 300-310 bulls and smaller with the possibility of a 340 if you hit it hard. Lots of people out during season and not a whole lot of places to get away from roads.

• Like 3

Some of the more remote areas can be found on the western boundary, along Chevelon Canyon. If you shoot something and it manages to go tumbling down into that canyon you are going to have a real bad day. I had a friend who shot a bear that managed to go over the edge and we had a very difficult time getting it out of there. Ropes, pulleys and lots of bad words, fortunately no injuries. As I was sliding down a rope, in the dark, to look for a shot bear in that canyon I believe I heard Bill Engvall say "here's your sign".

• Like 2

4b is on fire. You wont have to go very far from the roads. U can usually find a 350 bull inly going one ridge in.

There's only one place to get more then a mile from a road in 4b and it's full of elk. But so are a lot of the places close to the roads. If you're into backpacking way in it's really not your unit. You can be into the deepest reaches of 4b in 25 min walk. Don't worry to much about scouting. Find some cows and maybe put up a few blinds on waterholes if you want to be disappointed when it rains. Everything will change when the season starts and the rut hits so just use your vacation during the hunt. Wake up at 3:00am and ride the roads on a bike and find a cell of bugling and go chase them when the sun comes up. Sleep midday to catch up on it so you can be up early the next morning. If they aren't bugling well move 10 miles and try again. If you pass a 320 bull in there you've got balls. There are bigger though.

• Like 2

And if two or three bulls over 360 in the last 5 years is monsters coming out of there every year then yeah 4b is awesome. Expect lots of 300-310 bulls and smaller with the possibility of a 340 if you hit it hard. Lots of people out during season and not a whole lot of places to get away from roads.

These locals are all butt hurt because Jay Scott blabbed about how his buddies kid smoked a stud in the unit on his podcast.

• Like 4

These locals are all butt hurt because Jay Scott blabbed about how his buddies kid smoked a stud in the unit on his podcast.
Nah not worried about that. It won't take these guys long to figure out 4b is a tough hunt with top end bulls in the 340's with the occasional 350. Most bulls killed 300 or less. And don't want you lying to these guys about where you're hunting ;)

I'll be right across the canyon from you in 4A. My friends told me if I kill one in Chevelon Canyon, don't worry about the pack out. Just bring a fork and knife and enjoy my elk down there! lmao!

Anyways, good luck!

• Like 1

its elk hunting in arizona, you never know what you could see. one second youre combing through poverty bulls wishing you would have shot the small 6x6 you saw opening day. then all of a sudden, a tree fiddy.

• Like 2