Coueser

Good hiking

I'm needing to take some scouts out this weekend on a 4 mile round-trip hike where they camp overnight half way through. The issue is I need to be within cell-phone coverage for work responsibilities. Just curious if any of you have some recommendations of places we could hike/camp that are within 1.5 hours of Phoenix that fit the bill? Thanks

Bushnell Tanks is as easy as it gets. Easy entry on the road and perfect cell reception from Mt. Ord.. 3 Miles back to the tanks or stop at 2.

• Like 1

Angel Basin in the Superstitions. It's a great hike!

• Like 1

Bushnell Tanks is as easy as it gets. Easy entry on the road and perfect cell reception from Mt. Ord.. 3 Miles back to the tanks or stop at 2.

Yep... stop at 2 along the creek to camp, then do a hike to the tanks

I suppose if you are taking scouts into the area, it is only fair to mention it has a sad history with scouts. It's not good and pretty much why it's still only a walk in trail. Probably best if the Moms don't know about it. Very pretty and used to be a popular place to go.

I suppose if you are taking scouts into the area, it is only fair to mention it has a sad history with scouts. It's not good and pretty much why it's still only a walk in trail. Probably best if the Moms don't know about it. Very pretty and used to be a popular place to go.

What happened

What happened

A couple of scouts and a leader died in a flood about 15 years ago.

What happened

Van washed downstream during a flood.

Great ideas. I'm very appreciative of the recommendations. We ended up doing Lost Dutchman trail and it worked out great but now I have some great ideas for future hikes as well. Thanks all. Was it after the death of the scouts that they closed that Bushnell Tanks Road?

Great ideas. I'm very appreciative of the recommendations. We ended up doing Lost Dutchman trail and it worked out great but now I have some great ideas for future hikes as well. Thanks all. Was it after the death of the scouts that they closed that Bushnell Tanks Road?

I believe it was closed in 2005 during the Edge fire. I could be wrong tho....

Here's an account from one of the SAR guys on scene of the drownings back in 1998.

http://hardcoreoutdoor.com/the-mission-i-cant-forget-flash-flood-kills-boy-scouts-and-troop-leader-march-28-1998/