Sign in to follow this  
Riley_Alan

Optic set ups!?

You need to ask yourself some questions..........What are you using now? What's your price range? What type of country are you usually hunting?, long range glassing or close? What will you be glassing for? By the looks of your avatar you like to hunt Range Carp.

Can't go wrong with 12X50's (Razors or Swaro's) for a universal optic, then carry a spotter when you are really trophy hunting.

I just upgraded from Vortex 15's to Swaro 15 NEU, I plan to carry 10's (sometimes).

• Like 3

Im thinking of staying in the vortex price range, mule and elk hunting. Low desert to pines? I would just like the best all around optic set up for multiple terrains and game?

I always carry a pair of 10's, 15's and a spotter! I've been on too many hunts where I wish I had something. My pack is heavier, but I always have enough glass for the task.

• Like 4

I'm not a fan of spotters never really been able to get the "look with one eye method" down. 15's work fine for what I'm doing. I wouldn't be against to looking into the twin spotters or the GTX for long long range looks..................

If you want to stay around a grand get 12x50 Razors. You can always add a spotter if you think you need one.

I myself carry 10x in my harness and 15x in my pack. I put the 15s on a tripod as soon as I get to my glassing spot.

I used to carry a spotter but switched over to 15s because I can glass a lot longer without eye fatigue.

• Like 1

I carry 12x50s in my harness for brief hand holding and on the tripod. The 85 spotter comes out of the pack if I need to get a closer up look at anything.

Carrying a spotter sucks but needed if you're not just meat huntin. As with everybody else I love my 15s but if I had to have just one go-to setup to pack around I'd go with a high end 12x50 paired with a 65 spotter, especially if you're mostly hunting elk and carp. I would love to add some EL 12x50s to my family one day.

I always carry a pair of 10's, 15's and a spotter! I've been on too many hunts where I wish I had something. My pack is heavier, but I always have enough glass for the task.

This. I just got a spotter last fall before a late season elk hunt, but have already used it a ton. 10s on a chest harness, 15s for glassing out to 2 miles, spotter for close inspections.

• Like 1

8 or 10's, 15's and spotter. There is honestly no substitute, other than 10's and big eyes maybe. 10's on my chest for quick looks and 15's come out as soon as i get to my glassing spot. Didn't start carrying a spotter until 2 seasons ago. Worth the weight, just to put my mind at ease that that "rock" i was looking at isn't actually a deer, or to make sure that that buck 2 miles away IS a shooter. Some people pack just 12's and a spotter to save weight/money though

When glassing for animals like coues do you do your "finding with the 12/15 and the verify with spotter usually? Any avtual "finding" with the spotter?

Not for me. I don't care to look through the spotter for extended periods. I primarily use the spotter to verify or to digiscope.

Only change I'd suggest is 8's over 10's. For hand held. Better exit pupil. Better stability. Wider view and very little loss in magnification for and hand held or a stalk

• Like 2

I spend probably 95% of my time behind my 15x HD Swaro's. Every now and then in a tight canyon I might put my 10's on the tripod. As far as a spotter, the times I actually need one are few and far between. Even at a couple miles you can tell a big buck from a dink in the 15's. Unless your picky enough that you need to know the difference between a 105" and a 110", I'd say save the money on the spotter and get top of the line 15's first.

• Like 1