Sign in to follow this  
Riley_Alan

Optic set ups!?

Another question that needs answered, what do you currently have?

IMO, mid priced spotting scopes are just extra weight. Once you get them up past 20x it's like looking through a coke bottle. I've tried several Vortex, Nikon and others. Sold them all.

You have spend more on a spotter than binos to get quality for some reason.

• Like 3

Anyone use the smaller 50mm objective spotters to get a better look at something you've already spotted with 15's?

Example: Glass up what looks to be a decent buck at 1300 yards with 15's and are debating a stalk so you pull out something like the vortex razor 11-33 50mm and get a better look?

Everyone says get at least 65mm but almost no one has actually tried a decent 50mm.

Don't waste your time on the 50mm objective spotter. I looked through the razor 11-33X50mm and thought it was horrible. My 15s were way better.

I love my Leica 12x50's. The Duovids would be sweet! I've always been a fan of 12's. Good all around magnification, IMO. I found a used Zeiss 65 spotter for $1000 several years ago. I don't like carrying it on long hikes though. I too was wondering about the 50mm spotters.

• Like 1

I just sold my budget spotter, kaibabs 15x56, viper 10x42s, cheap vortex tripod and upgraded to viper 12x50's paired with the straight razor 27-60x85 spotter with the outdoorsmans tripod and head. Love my new set up! I normally backpack in and stay 2-3 days it's much lighter and I don't notice much of a difference from the 12's vs 15's. And with the real wide eye piece on the razor spotter it's not to bad to glass through for short periods of time. With a Straight spotter you can quickly change from your binos to spotter without adjusting your tripod and your spotter will be pointing in the same general area your binos were.

• Like 1

We've used 10's on the chest and 15's on a tripod for years and its proven to be a deadly combo. I kinda like the idea of some 12's and a spotter tho especially for Digascoping.

I use Swarovski's 10's in the chest harness, pack a leupold Kenai spotter to get up close and personal. Had some Zeiss 15's but sold them to go to a spotter- just my personal preference. My brother and I have found that using an eye patch with the spotter reduces spotter fatigue-remarkable how much this helps.

I am thinking on selling my Swarovski 15x56 with a doubler if your interested.

Side note, how good is the Doubler? Was thinking at looking into one down the road? seems like a light and simple way to get a little better look at stuff? I have a spotter but its not the greatest and pretty old I would imagine the Doubler would be a little better than that ?

Its works pretty good. And a heck of a lot lighter then a spotter.

For coues and desert muleys, I have used Leica Duovids 10+15x50 (less weight and space than 2 binos). On my last December hunt, I was always wanting to use my friend's spotting scope for those far away deer, so have since picked up a 65mm Razor.

For elk and mule deer in the pines, I would suggest a nice 8x42 for the wider field of view over 10x.

I am thinking on selling my Swarovski 15x56 with a doubler if your interested.

Dont do it.

• Like 1

If You can't tell its a shooter with Swaro 15s then it aint a shooter period. Don't waste weight and money on others.