Sign in to follow this  
creed_az_88

Gila wilderness bulls.

Pretty much All wilderness in 16b where I'll be hunting.

My bull was in 16B. Which trailhead are you using to access the country? Drop camp? guided? backpack hunt? Let me know if you need any help.

Still figuring all that out bulldog. Almost surely gonna be a backpack hunt. Gonna make a few trips this summer to get a better feel for what we're gonna do. I drew the tag with a friend. He has a good mule that we may use. Still getting maps together and just starting to look everything over. We've never set foot in the unit. We're all ears though we won't turn down any insight.

so its basically all wilderness over there?

16a -16d is considered the Gila, (national forest) where as only 16B and maybe parts of others are actual wilderness..

• Like 1

My father in law drew 16D. His house is in the unit so I'm excited to go scouting for him. I don't think he really knows what he drew lol. He's a meat hunter and this year I'm trying to convince him that you CAN eat the antlers!!!

Guy I know from New Mexico. Killed two years ago in the Gila wilderness on the archery hunt. Right around 400"

Wow!

Are any of you guys still around that added to this thread?  I've got a tag for Rifle in Oct. 2021 in unit 16B and a deer tag the next week in all of unit 16.  I've been studying this at length and will head down there at the end of June for a scouting trip.  Would really appreciate anything that you could add toward making my scouting trip more efficient.  Thanks!!

42 minutes ago, Jeronimo 56 said:

Are any of you guys still around that added to this thread?  I've got a tag for Rifle in Oct. 2021 in unit 16B and a deer tag the next week in all of unit 16.  I've been studying this at length and will head down there at the end of June for a scouting trip.  Would really appreciate anything that you could add toward making my scouting trip more efficient.  Thanks!!

We killed bulls. We had access to stock and I wouldn't want to hunt the unit without them. Most of our time was spent along the north border and north of the cliff dwellings. Very little glassable country in the country we hunted. 

• Like 1