Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Raffles

So I know when you see raffles on here most of them are through organizations Wether it be the Arizona deer association or pronghorn antelope association ETC.......what if a guy (me) wanted to auction off a NEW pair of Swarovski 15x56 SLC? Say I sold 300 tickets for $20 each? I guess my credibility would be the main thing in question. That and making sure it's not rigged and a "buddy " wins. I'm trying to think of a way to do something cool to benefit fellow hunters and also help to pay for my daughters adoption. Just a thought. I don't even know if it's "legal". Now a days there's a lot of red tape with raffles and lotteries.

I believe in order to do any raffles like that you would need to have a 501c3 set up for tax purposes

• Like 3

There are quite a few groups that do this on Facebook. They use paypal, and use random.org to create a number. Basically they in your case, say 1-300 everyone pays $20 per spot. Once paid you punch there name in the numbers. Once it's all full you video the number that's selected off of the random number generator.

• Like 2

There were a couple guys doing that on the rutnhard website (RIP). It was really really annoying. They would say I'm selling as many tickets as I can by a certain day and that day would come around and then they'd extend it. Not only was it really annoying but I'm pretty sure it's illegal. Im sure they started out meaning well but then guys pretty much started to do them to fund new binos (or their coke habit most likely on that site). Anyhow please consult with amanda before you start with that. This is a pretty good group of guys and gals and I'm sure there's a good way to raise money for causes if they're legit.

• Like 1

There are always a few people that ruin things for everyone. That other site was hit or miss on good guys. I definitely wouldn't do anything on here without permission. As far as the legality goes I wasn't sure that's why I was asking. I just thought it would be a cool way to give someone a great deal on some great gear and help me to boot.

Personal opinion since shedhunter said I know it all is that if you're looking to do it to make a business out of it or to do it often to make a profit people aren't gonna go for that. I personally wouldn't give a random guy my money for a raffle when he could just say his buddy won or may not run the raffle at all. Most people feel more comfortable giving their money to the group's and associations on the site that do these raffles because they have the correct and fair ways of doing it and we know they aren't just going to take the cash. Not saying you would do that but would be hard to trust someone not many guys know to do it right.

Personal opinion since shedhunter said I know it all is that if you're looking to do it to make a business out of it or to do it often to make a profit people aren't gonna go for that. I personally wouldn't give a random guy my money for a raffle when he could just say his buddy won or may not run the raffle at all. Most people feel more comfortable giving their money to the group's and associations on the site that do these raffles because they have the correct and fair ways of doing it and we know they aren't just going to take the cash. Not saying you would do that but would be hard to trust someone not many guys know to do it right.

That's what I figured would be my biggest hurdle. Not looking to make it a business, just do it enough times to pay off the debt from my daughters adoption. I talked about the idea with some buddies that hunt and told them I wouldn't even let them participate. Told my dad the same thing. I would want it to be 100% legit.

That's what I figured would be my biggest hurdle. Not looking to make it a business, just do it enough times to pay off the debt from my daughters adoption. I talked about the idea with some buddies that hunt and told them I wouldn't even let them participate. Told my dad the same thing. I would want it to be 100% legit.

+1 on bonecollector777's comments. I think that in addition to potential 'legitimacy' concerns, it just seems to me like lots of people could be turned-off to someone trying to raise money to pay off a personal debt. Possibly if there was some kind of life-altering set back that is keeping the debt holder from being able to pay, but that is what gofundme.com accounts are for. ;) Whether you call it a 'business' or not, to me it seems like if someone is looking to make a personal profit, then it's a business.

Definitely should consult an attorney (or do the research on raffle holder rules/regs) though. The 501C3 point brought-up earlier touches on the point for good reason, those are 'non-profit' orgs, and hence by nature are not going to profit from the raffles they hold. A private citizen doing it would clearly be profiting.

Good luck!

S.

Raffles

13-3302.

B. An organization that has qualified for an exemption from taxation of income under section 43-1201, paragraph 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10 or 11 may conduct a raffle that is subject to the following restrictions:

1. The nonprofit organization shall maintain this status and no member, director, officer, employee or agent of the nonprofit organization may receive any direct or indirect pecuniary benefit other than being able to participate in the raffle on a basis equal to all other participants.

2. The nonprofit organization has been in existence continuously in this state for a five year period immediately before conducting the raffle.

3. No person except a bona fide local member of the sponsoring organization may participate directly or indirectly in the management, sales or operation of the raffle.

4. Nothing in paragraph 1 or 3 of this subsection prohibits a licensed general hospital, a licensed special hospital or a foundation established to support cardiovascular medical research that is exempt from taxation of income under section 43-1201, paragraph 4 or section 501©(3) of the internal revenue code from contracting with an outside agent who participates in the management, sales or operation of the raffle if the proceeds of the raffle are used to fund medical research, graduate medical education or indigent care, provided that the raffles are conducted no more than three times per calendar year. The maximum fee for an outside agent shall not be greater than fifteen per cent of the net proceeds of the raffle.

C. A state, county or local historical society designated by this state or a county, city or town to conduct a raffle may conduct the raffle subject to the following conditions:

1. No member, director, officer, employee or agent of the historical society may receive any direct or indirect pecuniary benefit other than being able to participate in the raffle on a basis equal to all other participants.

2. The historical society must have been in existence continuously in this state for a five year period immediately before conducting the raffle.

3. No person except a bona fide local member of the sponsoring historical society may participate directly or indirectly in the management, sales or operation of the raffle.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth! Ha ha. I was just trying to think of something cool that would benefit hunters as well as myself. I don't see how this is this would be dissimilar to the current raffle going on on this website as far as people being upset that I'm profiting from it. That outfitter is making a huge profit off of their raffle. However those tickets sold extremely fast and I didn't hear anyone complain about them making money. Just my two cents though. I definitely don't have a problem with them making money from the raffle. As far as people wondering about the legitimacy of the raffle, I figured that would be the main problem. They would think it was rigged somehow or something along those lines.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth! Ha ha. I was just trying to think of something cool that would benefit hunters as well as myself. I don't see how this is this would be dissimilar to the current raffle going on on this website as far as people being upset that I'm profiting from it. That outfitter is making a huge profit off of their raffle. However those tickets sold extremely fast and I didn't hear anyone complain about them making money. Just my two cents though. I definitely don't have a problem with them making money from the raffle. As far as people wondering about the legitimacy of the raffle, I figured that would be the main problem. They would think it was rigged somehow or something along those lines.

The difference is that it isn't Colburn and Scott outfitters raffling their hunt. This is to benefit the Arizona Deer Association which is a nonprofit. Most likely Jay Scott gave them that hunt at a reduced rate or even free so they can use it as a raffle prize. So they certainly aren't making a "huge profit" off of it,likely it's the exact opposite of that. They also do lot of raffles through the ADA for swaro binos etc. My guess is a company donates them the binos at cost and then they sell tickets and the proceeds go to the non profit. You're missing the entire point. A raffle benefits only two people, the winner, and the seller, and in these cases the seller is a nonprofit. The rest of the guys who buy tickets are doing it to benefit the non profit not to get a good deal on a hunt or pair of binos. I personally bought 5 tickets to the ADA raffle. Not because I have any remote inclination that I'm gonna get a $100 coues deer hunt, but because it was a good way to donate to a good cause and made me anticipate the drawing a little like I do with every drawing.

• Like 1

The difference is that it isn't Colburn and Scott outfitters raffling their hunt. This is to benefit the Arizona Deer Association which is a nonprofit. Most likely Jay Scott gave them that hunt at a reduced rate or even free so they can use it as a raffle prize. So they certainly aren't making a "huge profit" off of it,likely it's the exact opposite of that. They also do lot of raffles through the ADA for swaro binos etc. My guess is a company donates them the binos at cost and then they sell tickets and the proceeds go to the non profit. You're missing the entire point. A raffle benefits only two people, the winner, and the seller, and in these cases the seller is a nonprofit. The rest of the guys who buy tickets are doing it to benefit the non profit not to get a good deal on a hunt or pair of binos. I personally bought 5 tickets to the ADA raffle. Not because I have any remote inclination that I'm gonna get a $100 coues deer hunt, but because it was a good way to donate to a good cause and made me anticipate the drawing a little like I do with every drawing.

What he said..... No outfitter profit. Just money donated to a good charitable cause, the ADA. ;)

S.

• Like 1