jessedlc2

Scouting in 3b

Don't look for elk. This time of year will be very different than December. Look for water sources, high points to glass from and learn the general lay of the land.

I may be mistaken but it was not very glassable, there was plenty of water and most animals seen was during biking from the road

Elk can be high or low in that unit at that time. Find some country that is huntable and figure out how to get your eyes on them.

I grew up there and hunted 3b all my life there are spots that you can get high and glass the wilderness gets pounder on the late hunts but there are a lot of elf

I grew up there and hunted 3b all my life there are spots that you can get high and glass the wilderness gets pounder on the late hunts but there are a lot of elf

Do u mean the woolhouse habitat area, when u say wilderness?

It changes year to year with the habitat area and people hunting it , some years more crowded then others ,Late 3b is not an easy hunt and the draw odds reflect that. But if you hit it hard you should have an opportunity at a bull for sure. Good Luck

The northern 2/3 of 3B is all glassable. But very few people hunt the Northern portions. Judging by the number of pics I have seen this year of people shed hunting and scouting, looks like it could be a record gate this year for the Woolhouse. Not to mention the wolves I saw in there a few weeks ago.

Nevertheless, opening morning, there will be bulls dropping out there.

It will be a huge learning curve for me, but i will definitely give it my best effort. I am in good physical condition so i hope that helps, and I plan on arriving a few days before the hunt to hopefully locate some bulls. I would be ecstatic with a branch antlered bull 4x4

You certainly have a good attitude. I'm sure it will work out. Good luck.