Sign in to follow this  
CouesFanatic

Fishing Pole/Reel for kids

My 7 year old son has been fishing with me quite a bit recently. He has gotten pretty good at casting but the pole and reel he is using doesn't cast very far. We are planning a river trip where he needs to cast out a little further. Any recommendations on what to buy?

What he has now:

https://www.amazon.com/Zebco-Sling-Spincast-Fishing-Colors/dp/B003LZJELM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1493783737&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=zebec+slingshot+reel

I use a regular spinning reel. Not sure if he's ready for that yet. Would a spincast be good for him this young? I've never done the spincast thing yet.

I don't know what a spincast reel is unless you are talking about a baitcast reel and those are more difficult to get the knack of than a spinning reel.

Pushbuttons usually cast pretty far so you might want to put some new line on it in maybe 6-8 pound like Trilene. The line that comes on those cheaper reel/rod combo's is stiff and low quality.

If he already has the hand coordination down on that Zebco than he should have a fairly easy time making the transistion to spinning reel.

Depending where you are I have a few ultralight spinning outfits he could try. What size fish are you targeting?

I'll also add fresh and appropriate sized line will do wonders for casting distance and eliminating other frustrations.

In my experience river fishing, stay away from closed faced reels if possible. I'm always getting my spinning reels wet crossing and such. Closed faced reels seem to seize up when that happens. Like stated above, quality, appropriate sized line makes a BIG difference

Just change the line on what he is using to some good line you will be amazed how much farther it will go with lighter fresh line than what comes on it.

My son really took to this high dollar pole last year.

post-52-0-90115800-1494121625_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry, I could not resist. ..

Picked up a Zebco 33 mini. Put it on the pole. The reel came with Cajun 4 pound test line. Do you think that will be heavy enough?

I would try it and go from there. The red line of theirs I tried about 7 years ago cast silky smooth but it was 15 #. It held up just fine but I could not get the knots to hold 100% of the time.

Probably just the type of knot I used.

+1 for zebco 33 my kids love them, but they can bind up after a while, so I take them to cabelas and they put new line on for free after purchase.

• Like 1