rossiranch

North Rim Turkeys

Hey guys, my fiancé and I purchased some leftover tags this year for the second turkey hunt up on north rim. We're going up May 11-14. This will be both of our first times hunting turkeys. Do you expect them to still be gobbling around this time? Is there anything obvious we need to know before heading out? My game plan is basically find water sources, look for sign and roosting areas and hope to get lucky. Sound about right?? Thanks in advance! Matt

What unit?

I am in unit 8. Took me a good while to locate turkeys, but I finally found some, Things are transitioning up there right now. 1) seems like breeding is done. My experience so far is the gobblers sound off for the first hour 5am-6am and then go dead silent for the rest of the day. I haven't had a single response to calling. 2) things are drying up and turkeys seem to be moving closer to water sources. Possible rain in the forecast may change that.

Not sure if that helps. If you want more info on unit 8 turkeys, you can pm me.

Thanks man, I'm actually going to unit 12 up by Jacobs lake area though.

Depending on how much snow is left up there, it can be pretty challenging. I have done that hunt twice, one year was quick and easy, the other was polar opposite. Most roads had snow too deep to drive on and the birds were not calling. Water holes are always a good option. I prefer to wake up early or stay out after the sun goes down and shock gobble or just listen for birds. I will then concentrate on those areas in the morning and evenings.

Sounds like you have a good game plan. The birds should still be talking. Good luck!

Lot of Birds up there in 12AW...

I just got back from a few days chasing them. I was in unit 23 and they were gobbling pretty good the first hour. After that only once in a while. I shocked called early and moved in on the closest gobble. Saw them but could never get them to leave the hens they were with. We ended up basically spot and stalking them. We would sit up high and watch the openings and try to cut them off. Almost worked too.

• Like 2

I was out in 6a scouting yesterday, finally saw some sign. Saw a monster speed goat and had a coyote show up about 20 yards from me.

Be careful walking on the snow up there. Last time I did that hunt I was crossing a snow field on a ridge. I broke through the hard crust on top and sunk in well past my waist. Lots of bad words.

• Like 1

Virginia hunter working on US Slam and will be in 12a starting tomorrow through weds and then heading to Utah. If you send me your details will give you a rundown and info before you hit it.