Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Yes or No to the TREE STAND

What's wrong with using a guys stand? if I left a stand up I wouldn't mind if someone used it. Maybe they won't even be back. Or is it for the safety

First come first served. You can't claim a spot by leaving your stand or blind there year round. Who even knows if they drew a tag? I would never trust a stand somebody else put up. So I would check it and use a fall arrest system anyhow, just make sure you know how to self-rescue.

• Like 1

I would not sit in any tree stand. But, if you want to hunt there then find a better location for your blind upstream from that location and hang a honey dripper above that tree stand. :ph34r:

• Like 1

What's wrong with using a guys stand? if I left a stand up I wouldn't mind if someone used it. Maybe they won't even be back. Or is it for the safety

dang right, it's fair game for anyone to use if setup on public land. I wouldn't hesitate to sit in it. Can't throw your crap somewhere essentially calling "dibs". Inspecting the safety of it would take about 60 seconds as well..

All points have already been addressed. Personally I wouldn't use it cause I hate heights and would hate to fall. Plus I don't see a ladder to get up and I wouldn't be carrying around my own ladder when I happened to come across this abandoned stand. I would, however, build a ground blind somewhere near by.

• Like 1

All points have already been addressed. Personally I wouldn't use it cause I hate heights and would hate to fall. Plus I don't see a ladder to get up and I wouldn't be carrying around my own ladder when I happened to come across this abandoned stand. I would, however, build a ground blind somewhere near by.

The fall is the fun part, it is the sudden stop that really sucks.

Caught a guy in my tree stand last year. I asked him to leave, he said "nope its first come first serve". I said ok, then climbed up the ladder and started unhooking the ladder steps that were attached to tree. I removed all 4 sets of ladder steps. Meanwhile he is up in the stand about 18 feet up, yelling at me and he says he is calling Game and Fish to report me. As I walked away down the trail, I yelled back at him, "make sure you tell the warden to bring a ladder!"

Not sure how he got down, but he wasn't there the next time I came back.

• Like 4