Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Antelope? Pronghorn?

I gotta admit I know very little about the Pronghorn Antelope but sitting in church Sunday keeping my grandson quiet we were perusing a book titled Arizona Wildlife and we came across this....

post-2034-0-06011400-1494277519_thumb.jpg

I guess I have never heard them referred to specifically as "pronghorn".....without the term "antelope" included???

Just curious if one is more correct that the other or if they belong together both terms or are they interchangeable???

unique species the north american pronghorn. just looks like an african antelope. azgfd never went to school methinks...

lee

Distant relative of the Giraffe

No that would be an okapi...

F1600-591523.jpg

• Like 1

Distant relative of the Giraffe

No that would be an okapi...

F1600-591523.jpg

Do a search on superfamily Giraffoidea and family Antilocapridae

Pronghorn are unique animals that look similar to true African antelope but are in their own genus alone. Pronghorn are the only species I am aware of that shed only the sheath and retain a bone core. True antelope retain the horns like cattle or sheep.

Pronghorn are unique animals that look similar to true African antelope but are in their own genus alone. Pronghorn are the only species I am aware of that shed only the sheath and retain a bone core. True antelope retain the horns like cattle or sheep.