jjwilli1

Small Mouth Fishing on the Black River

I was thinking of fishing some new parts of the Black this year. I know the best fishing is along the lower/south portions of river. But wanted to switch it up and was thinking of fishing up river a bit more, just to the SE of where the White merges with the Salt.

Anyone had any luck fishing for small mouth bass up in that part of the river?

before the fire a few years ago my son and I caught and released a few hundred in the white west of the bridge during a day and a half trip. We fished all the way down where it merges and forms the salt. The last half mile or so wasn't any good and the water became significantly warmer.

I've been back a few times since and it's definitely not nearly as good but getting a little better. The last time I fished the white was two years ago and we probably caught and released 20 total for the day. All were small in the 8-10" range. We used and always use 2" pink singletail grubs and a small jig. Lots of rattlesnakes. Good luck.

Last year my wife and I fished the Black upriver from Black River Crossing. We did ok but not amazing.

Thanks Ed that's good info! I'll probably stay SE of the bridge, hopefully the fishing has picked up a bit! I know all about the bears and rattlers they don't bother me much, they both taste really good though :)

I've got plenty of rattlesnake and bear stories I can share from my fishing trips to the Black River over the last 45 years. Best advice I can share is wear leggings for the rattlers and carry a 44 magnum for the bears. Both have come in handy for me a few times!

• Like 2

Well I'm only really interested in how the fishing is so got any "recent" stories of how the bite along the river is??

I was in there about 2 weeks ago and the fishing was good . They were hitting the bait pretty soft though. Pretty good day overall though nothing big but quite a few 2-3 pound fish.

I was in there about 2 weeks ago and the fishing was good . They were hitting the bait pretty soft though. Pretty good day overall though nothing big but quite a few 2-3 pound fish.

If you're catching 2-3lb small mouth bass pretty consistently that is dang good fishing in my opinion!! What part of the river did you fish?

• Like 2

I don't know any names other than it was above where the Black and white merge together . We hiked a ways back in to go where not many people reach just to catch such fish ,the plan actually worked out .

Thats cool man, I am heading up this weekend. I'll probably be a bit more up river then you were since I am coming in from San Carlos side, was thinking either near Elwood Canyon or Coupon Tank. I have never fished either of those spots but from what I hear they used to be really good before the fire but havent heard much about them since. Hoping I can get into some 2-3 pounders though!!!

Keep in mind the higher up the black you fish the harder it was hit by the fire. Fish to be had but still in recovery mode.

Keep in mind the higher up the black you fish the harder it was hit by the fire. Fish to be had but still in recovery mode.

I know im must just trying to take the easiest driving roads possible until I get a new truck, my current truck is on its last leg. Have you fished up near Elwood or Canyon lately or heard recent reports? Last reports I could find for those spots were in 2013 when fishing was "decent" but still a few years away.

• Like 1

How'd it go? I have a spot on the Black River that is great- but it's all small mouth bass. PM if interested.

Just got back on Tuesday from a four day trip at wooden cross. Its just down river a ways from the pump station. Caught quite a few in the 2 to 3 pound class and alot of smaller ones. Had one bear encounter at camp and two more while fishing the river. Had a great time, but you have to put in the extreme hiking to find the waters that the bigger fish live.

• Like 2

Anyone fish near Point of Pines area on the Black river??

I have fished by whites crossing area and the pumping station there by point of pines. Pretty popular place. Slow fishing.

• Like 1