Sign in to follow this  
Wetfinn

What Loads for a Muzzleloader do you use?

I have a CVA that I have been shooting Barnes 50 cal and 100g (2 pellets) with 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yds. Anybody have any really good loads they have found? Particularly for Elk? Do I need to bump up to 150g? Just want to see what everyone else has done. No need to re invent the wheel.

Thanks

Mika

How long is your barrel? When I shoot 150 in my CVA it just means more smoke and cleaning of my barrel with very little increase in velocity because so little of it burns before it clears the barrel.

1-1.5" doesn't seem too bad to me. Maybe I just don't have high enough standards.

If you're shooting 1-1.5" with a muzzy, don't change anything!

Sounds like you are at M.O.E.

Minute of Elk.

You accuracy is perfect.

Don't get into 200+ yard shots. They are not center fire, the do not carry the energy out past 200.

Sounds like you got a great load.

Stick with that load.

Love me my Barnes bullets in my ML

Powerbelts?? = no way! Junk!

Unless you like having to keep it slow

I shoot 150 gt of triple 7 behind a 300 gr SST. Shoots like a rifle, and the dots in my leupold scope are on at 200 and 300

Shot my Antelope at 305 and my boy shot his bull elk at 68 yards with this load. In both cases the bullet worked perfectly.

Thanks for the input all. I am new to muzzle loaders. Still learning. t want to make sire I got it right before I shoot an elk and it doesn't fall quick and suffers.

Mika

Go get a new breech plug and start shooting some Blackhorn 209. You can tweak it just like handloading instead of just shoving two pellets down and hoping to find a bullet that shoots well.

I found a load that shoots very well in my CVA Accura v2--- 1.5" at 150 yards... can't ask for more than that.

***CAVEAT*** Blackpowder measurements are done BY VOLUME... not by weight. However-- this makes it hard to get precise, repeatable charges when measuring by volume in a charge tube.

So I measure my charges by weight and do the math to equivalent charge volume to ensure they are safe... For example--- Most modern muzzleloaders warn not to use more than 150gr of poweder... BY VOLUME. If you stuffed 150gr by weight that would be over 200gr by volume and it would make for a bad day.

Most accurate in my rifle was 85gr BY WEIGHT of BH209 and a Scorpion Gold PT 260gr Sabot. This equates to roughly 110gr of volume so it is still well safe and it shoots awesome.