Sign in to follow this  
rossiranch

6a input?

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure I want to try and get drawn for 6a coues this year. Any thoughts on either the first or second? I would assume first would be better but draw odds seem to say the second is more popular...Any major differences between the 2? Thanks in advance!

Matt

Haha thanks for the tip? I was just curious if one hunt was particularly favored over the other for any reason.

Isn't it a late October or a late December hunt in there? The December hunt is obviously gonna be considerable better as they'll be starting to rut but also considerably harder to draw.

• Like 2

Yotebuster there are 3 hunts. Late October, mid November, then the rut hut in December. I was just curious about the first two.

Yotebuster there are 3 hunts. Late October, mid November, then the rut hut in December. I was just curious about the first two.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd want the first one personally. It's not too hot up there that time of year and you'd have first crack at them.

Why more people don't put in for the early hunts is beyond me, especially in a unit like that.

-it's nice weather

-animals have been pushed hard due to all the elk hunters but not as bad yet in the southern part

-the animals still have their summer patterns

-it's nice weather

-a few elk are still sounding off

-it's nice weather

-great area to do some fishing as well

I would love a dec hunt but it's hard to justify waiting that long when I can hunt the same animals 2x as much.

The last coues I shot was following a doe and ended up fighting another buck. Shot it while it was locking antlers. That was on The last week of october 2 years ago- my father was a witness. Crazy things can happen.

• Like 1

Ok sounds like I was on the right track. I mean October anywhere in 6a has to be better weather than the desert units im used to! Thanks fellas I think I've made up my mind

Good choice! They are a lot easier to pattern in October on water in 6a. Good luck hope you get it there are some toads in 6a.

Well, I'm very happy to say I'll be in 6a this November! Coues better watch out! I'm very excited and glad I'm in Prescott so I can get in lots of weekend scouting trips in to learn the area.

• Like 1

The wife and my self habe the oct tags. Good luck

Right on presmyk good luck to you both as well. I did my first scouting trip last sat, and despite battling the terrible humidity I mangaged to glass up 7-8 coues that morning with 1-2 being small bucks. They were pretty far off and even in my 15s it was hard to tell. Can't wait to get back again soon though!