Sign in to follow this  
AZDirtyTaco

New Bow Setup - Looking for Opinions

Guest oneshot

Black Widow calls for at least 8grns per Bow poundage and I've up'ed my arrows with weight inserts, more FOC, quieter on release, around 10-11grns perlbs (49lbs @ 30'), don't know/care what the fps is...

Don't get all hyped with arrow speed, for 1000's of years big game animals have been falling to "slow" gear...

post-1378-0-79827400-1496509191_thumb.jpg

Guest oneshot

Two unobstructed holes are better than one. Why wouldn't anyone not want a complete pass through?

Hit at a 1/4'ing away angle, hitting the far shoulder, you have a chance of that arrow getting knocked about as game runs off, churning that arrow like a razor-sharpe mixing machine through all the vitals...

Please don't misunderstand where I am coming from. I do believe in both speed and penetration. The problem is finding the balance between the two. The performance of bow & arrow varies with each animal, location of hit, direction of travel, etc. Would I always like a complete pass through? You bet! Do I also want speed for flatter trajectory and less reaction time? Sure. I can easily get both by moving up to a crossbow. I could stay with stick and bow, but I can't pull 80 pounds and I don't have a 30" draw. So I am stuck with what I got: 70 pounds and a 28.5" draw - and trying to find the best balance between speed and weight.

Like any other sport, I have seen trends come and go over the years. First the pendulum swings one way, then the other. For years, speed was king. Now heavy weight is king. It is simply my opinion that both matter and that you usually end up in a trade-off. The key, for me, is to find the right balance between the two. I tend to err on the side of speed just because my personal experience has led me there. If I had lost animals due to poor penetration, I would certainly err on the side of weight (momentum). We are the sum of our own experiences.

I appreciate all of replies and opinions offered! I'm going to run with 510gr. After slinging a few arrows over the weekend, I decided that I really liked the heavier FOC weight when it was all said and done. That added FOC has really made a difference while shooting in heavier winds of say... 15-25mph in my past experience. I do figure this will be my stop when it comes to arrow weight and any future gains will be in the speed department. I really doubt I'll be investing in another bow for several years and don't think I'll be chasing the speed until I see that I can jump another 25+ fps. I think I'd also have harder time than what I'd like drawing back on heavier limbs while sitting... So I'm done on the draw weight as well.

Thanks again gents! I don't think we covered anything new in the world of archery, but it definitely helped me to hold the discussion and think it through on my end.

Black Widow calls for at least 8grns per Bow poundage and I've up'ed my arrows with weight inserts, more FOC, quieter on release, around 10-11grns perlbs (49lbs @ 30'), don't know/care what the fps is...

Don't get all hyped with arrow speed, for 1000's of years big game animals have been falling to "slow" gear...

That is an awesome accomplishment right there! I do see the stickbow in my arsenal at some point. I need to find a bit more success in general before going that route just yet. Great buck and thanks for sharing!!!

I was too busy checking out that buck with a recurve that I just now noticed something....... ONESHOT is true to his name, there is only one arrow in that quiver!

I was too busy checking out that buck with a recurve that I just now noticed something....... ONESHOT is true to his name, there is only one arrow in that quiver!

You might take another look at the picture Red Sparky, there are 3 arrows in the leaves to the left of the buck. Looks like he was ONESHOTLEFT that day. :D

Nice looking buck ONESHOT. What was the range on your shot? I have never tried traditional archery. Maybe one day I will set down the compound (take off the training wheels) and give it a try.

As far as the speed versus weight argument look at it this way. The .357 magnum and .45 ACP are both very lethal.