Sign in to follow this  
creed

unit 8 hunting pressure

While not unfamiliar with 8 I have always hunted deer or turkey, never elk. I drew an early archery bull tag and went up this weekend to familiarize myself with the area west of Perkinsville Rd. I camped on the 108 and 41 intersection. I saw guys in camo and guys sitting off of tanks late in the evenings. Also a bit surprised to see fresh treestands up already. It's still 2 1/2 months to the deer opener and and another 3 weeks beyond that to elk season.

Just curious but where would the least amount of hunters be during the early hunt? I am thinking where I was may be a bit crowded. 20 years ago I had hiked into Tule Canyon hunting deer a couple of days before the archery elk season opened and the elk activity was insane. I was a lot younger then and not disabled like I am now. Pretty sure I could have escaped hunting pressure but those days are behind me.

I helped a friend a couple years ago and we hunted popular areas. People were mostly road hunting and listening for bugles in the morning. Miday we would hike up some hills to the bedding areas. We could get the bulls stirred up with some cow calls, but not successful. Maybe your a better cow caller. Good luck.

That unit is like most, and is road hunted hard. Get off the roads and you will have a much better shot. Try and find the beds, and the routes to and from water.

Had this hunt 3 yrs ago. Hiking never saw another hunter roads were busy though!!! Ended up missing as nice 6x6!! Was a fun hunt though cant wait to do it again!!

Creed

we never seen people when were hiking around. lots of trucks driving down roads when were at camp.

I shouldn't say never, 3 years ago never saw one people for a week in one area off the main road about 1 mile back.

last year there I called in 6 hunters 3 of them from out of a truck. 2 guys called in 3 times in the exact same spot. saw 9 vehicles up and down this little 2 tract in 3 days. only one knew there was elk in there the rest drove right by a few decent bulls.

so we moved to a different spot rest of the season only saw people when we were at camp or driving. they were going to there own spots.

even the popular tanks we have hunted we don't see anyone. had only one person walk up on us at elk tank in fhe 4 days we hunted around there and they were going fishing.

That goes for archery deer, turkey and early archery bull so basically a whole freaking month and a half.

got drawn again same tag early archery bull so we will be in the same spot till we get pushed out which I doubt cause the place looks stupid and people wont even hunt it.

I have been hanging out in 8 quite a bit this year. I am of the opinion that, in unit 8, a guy would have a harder time to find a place that didn't have elk in it, high, low and in between.

Thanks for the info guys. It just seemed like there was a lot of early activity. I never did like crowds but it sounds like it would be easy to get away from them. I hunted 5BS the last couple of times I drew an elk tag and it seemed no matter how deep in the woods I went I ran into someone.

Some freshy fresh from unit 8. Just pulled some cards and thought I'd share some highlights.

Not bad for June 5. This guy is down on the flats.

378_zpseagpnrgu.jpg

So was this guy

2118_zpshw3wravm.jpg

Finding Coues in unit 8

521_zpsdkejo3ez.jpgIt's my goal to take my first Coues with my first archery kill in unit 8

• Like 1

I am taking a lion tag with me any time I am in 8. We found 2 lion killed deer and saw a lion when we came up to a tank.

• Like 1

Nice cat

we always have a lion tag. made the mistake once and will never do it again. and that was the only time I had for gotten to buy a lion tag, then put it off. now when we buy our licenses we buy lion tags