Sign in to follow this  
varnco

Storing ATV outdoors

Up till now, I've stored my ATV in my garage, but that will come to an end, as I've just bought a boat that will take up an entire lane of my 3 car garage, and cars still get priority, since they're more expensive.

So, I plan on moving and storing the ATV outside in the back or sideyard.

Any recommendations on how to keep the ATV in the best shape possible, given the sun here in Phoenix, or is it a losing proposition, no matter what, the seat and tires are going to get hammered hard.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I usually pull the seat off and keep that in the garage. Then I put a cover on and lay a piece of plywood over it.

• Like 1

Get a cover. You will have to replace it once a yr most likely but it will protect it. I used to have to store mine outside and the cover worked great, its like a car cover.

• Like 1

Only use the silver tarps- you can get them at Harbor Freight pretty cheap. I've used those for 5 years- plastic and seat still like new. Those tarps will last about 6 months.

I'd worry about the battery too. My ranger battery has been fried by the heat, even with filling the water every month. It will be replaced soon, and I'll be keeping the battery indoors.

I stored my rhino under an awning for about a week. Mice chewed a lot of wires in the battery box. Its always indoors now.

• Like 2

Thanks, so it looks like it can survive if I protect it from the sun via cover and/or port and bring battery inside, and maybe the seat too.

No worries for the tires?

Get a cover. You will have to replace it once a yr most likely but it will protect it. I used to have to store mine outside and the cover worked great, its like a car cover.

This.

If you have the room, I say get 10x10 shed.

Get a Battery tender. That brand specifically.

If it is a Polaris get the Polaris branded cover specific to your model. It will not be cheap but it will cover it completely all the way to the ground. It seems to be of a better (thicker) quality too.

Get a Battery tender. That brand specifically.

If it is a Polaris get the Polaris branded cover specific to your model. It will not be cheap but it will cover it completely all the way to the ground. It seems to be of a better (thicker) quality too.

We kept our range battery on a battery tender, outdoors and it died, as stated with regular water maintenence.