I am looking to switch to an O/U this year for upland hunting. I think my ideal gun would be a 16 gauge w/3" chamber and a screw in choke, but I am having a hard time finding a gun that meets that criteria and isn't $4000+. Anyone know of any models that meet that description?

16 ga. is pretty much a dying breed. You'd be better off getting a 20. O/U's are like most things, you get what you pay for. You should be able to find a Browning/Beretta O/U for under 2K. What's your budget?

• Like 1

Take a look at a browning. They have several models that will fit your description. They can be had used for around 1500.00. I passed on a used one that I still regret not buying. If you are not sold on an O/U look at a used FOX SXS which you can get for around 500. Great solid gun. Probably won't have tubes but you can have those installed for a couple hundred bucks.

• Like 1

There is no such thing as a 16ga 3" shell

• Like 2

16 ga. is pretty much a dying breed. You'd be better off getting a 20. O/U's are like most things, you get what you pay for. You should be able to find a Browning/Beretta O/U for under 2K. What's your budget?

I have a 12 and 20 (pump action though) just wanted to shake things up a bit. Hopefully around 2k, but as I am looking more into 16's it seems to be more of a collector's item.

I did a quick Google search and could not find any 3" 16 gauge shells.

Same here. They were made at one point and what I am finding is that any shells in 3" would be more of a collectors item. Not worth shooting.

I love 16ga. I love rounds others don't though. Mainstream is boring. Old school and lesser loved rounds are my favorites though.

I know you want o/u but browning did release a new sweet 16 autoloader.

That wI'll probably be my next shotgun. That or an original A5 sweet 16.

I have a Winchester model 12 that used to be my Grandpa's. It was not working when I got it. Tore it apart, cleaned it after probably 40 years of sitting, and took it out 2 years ago to try it out. 3 shots, 3 doves. It sits in my safe now. It is an early one, don't remember the year, but 90 years old or something like that.

• Like 1