Sign in to follow this  
Zeke-BE

Let's narrow this 6.5 chamber down (help)

Last year I had a 6.5x.270 AI built on a McM Game Scout stock, Bartien #4 26", on a Tikka action. This hot rod wildcat Im sure won't last 1200-1400 rounds so I don't want to shot out the barrel.

My Plans are to build a similar rifle for muscle memory and longer barrel life. So this will be a target shooting rifle. My desire is using the McM A-5 stock, Tikka action, Bartlien #9 heavy. Rifle should feel close to being the same but lot heavier close to 14# for long range practice. I don't need a hot rod round and okay with it shooting 2500-2600 fps.

Here are my choices-

6.5 Creedmoor

6.5x55 (which I can buy a tikka and don't need to chamber it)

.260 - (I know its a great round but never cared for the look of it, I like those 30* and 40* shoulders but not a deal breaker)

.260 AI

6.5x47L (I know this guy takes more work in getting equipment and brass)

For one I already have a creedmoor in a weatherby and they are great, and look awesome. But I am one of those guys that don't want to main stream everything and have what everyone has.(why I went with a 6.5x.270AI) I was routing for the creedmoor when it came out and no one really had one. Now everyone wants one or has one. The 6.5x55 all information on the web is off the old Mauser actions. I find very little info on the modern action. But I hear it has awesome potential and can shoot with less PSI and maybe have a longer barrel life then the others. I remember few of you guys had some good loads for these rounds, and I remember but don't know who was talking about their belief in the greatness of the 6.5x55

Oh and planning on shooting this rifle about 300 rounds plus a year

6.5x55 is my vote. It is an underrated old.school round that will get it done, and has for over 100 years.

It is already in the correct action with mods, seems like a no Brainer to me.

• Like 1

Given those choices and how you want to use the rifle I would probably calculate the cost to get chambered and set up to reaload and fire each round. I would just take what literally gave me the most bang for my buck. How common is 6.5 x 55 brass here and what does it cost? The 6.5 x 47 brass will be more expensive but the reduced powder consumption will add up as savings. You probably already have Creedmore dies. Cost analysis with the appeal of any specific cartridge as a tie breaker would be my approach.

• Like 1

I'd just get a replacement barrel blank for the 6.5x.270 AI and have it in hand to be fitted when the throat on your first barrel is shot out.

• Like 1

I'd just get a replacement barrel blank for the 6.5x.270 AI and have it fitted when the throat on your first barrel is shot out.

Ive thought of that but I would like a nice heavy shooting rifle and a low recoil round. So when I shoot this guy it kicks like a .223

6.5x55 AI

forepaw

Ive been looking into that. Also once its fire form I can still use the books powder amount and have less recoil. Plus the potential of hot roding it if I want to

6.5 SLR.

.260 Rem case capacity, 30° shoulder, neck and shoulder design of the 6.5x47L (a well proven design for accuracy and long barrel/throat life), low case stretch, can use any .243/.260 brass, most readers are no turn necks using Winchester or Remington brass which are low cost and readily available, one pass through a FL die and you are basically formed so no AI fire forming needed, just to finish it off, more speed and case capacity than a 6.5 Creed or 6.5x47L. Takes big mulies at 600+ even by a 14 yeat old girl, And only a few cool guys have one....

L-R: .260 Rem, 6.5 SLR, 6.5 CM, 6.5x47L

65_cartridges__2_zpss64juunw.jpg

L-R: fire formed 6.5 SLR, 1st pass through FL die, .243 Win parent case

20141222_213034_zps97si7po1.jpg

Mine has a 27.75" barrel. Getting 2950fps from a 140 HVLD for my hot hunting loads, 2860fps from a 140 HVLD in my light target loads. 15# rifle w. brake recoils light enough to call your own hits on target. My light load brass have anywhere from 4-6 firings, and primer pockets are still tight in Rem brass. I trim about every 4th firing. I have 500 pieces of brass, 100 in my hunting loads, 300 in my light target loads, another 50 in a Barnes 127 LRX load at 3050fps, and 40ish in a 95 V-MAX @ almost 3500fps. Everything shoots in the .3-.4s and some much better.

• Like 1

The 6.5x55 has been doing all the neat and wonderful things the creedmoor and 260 has for over 100 years. In a modern action velocities well above 2900 are possible and lapua and Norma brass is easy to come by and pretty darn cheap to boot.

• Like 1

I like my 6.5 creedmoor.

Seems that its popularity is growing and lots of options for ammo and reloading.

I built a 6.5 Grendel last year on an AR platform. There are barrels and actions also available for a bolt action gun. Shoots about 2500 FPS which gives it better barrel life. Might be something to consider in your 6.5 quest

• Like 1