Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Anyone ever up and quit a good job?

We are going thru this now. Won't say my wife had a good paying job but she loved it and they did her wrong after 7 years so she quit on principal. I guess we will find out what job she replaces it with. She finished her accounting degree last year so we're hoping that will help get her get better pay.

All depends on what field your in, say construction is an industry looking for so many people that you can definitely better your pay and possible vacation time, not sure on other benefits, not sure of other fields. I was always told if you don't enjoy getting up for work then you need to make a change. You just need to find a job where there not trying get rich because of you, and find one that's wants to get rich with you. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1

Yes sir. Quit the only career I was actually certified in. Now I have a job that pays more and less stress. I lucked out when I took a chance. Never going to let work stress me out again.

I didn't really quit a good job. I was asked to sign a non-compete contract 3 times and refused. I was happy where i was working, but refused to sign a contract. Fired and did my own. 20 years later and its still working.

• Like 2

Only when I had one lined up ahead of time, and only did it twice. Once to go to college, and once to leave for a better gig. What I found is that as long as they pt you enough to live on, then the culture is about 1000x more important than anything else. Don't work at a job you hate, that will suck your soul dry.

• Like 1

I've quit a couple dozen pretty good jobs just cause it was hunting season! Don't know that I've ever taken a job that wasn't better than the last.

I had a really good job working for Phelps Dodge in the Morenci Mine. Started as a laborer, ended up completing an Instrumentation / Electrician apprenticeship and had been working at that capacity for the last ten years before quitting. I worked for Phelps Dodge for 21 years. I ended up taking a Job with the U of A for the same pay and they matched my vacation benefit. It has been a four, ten hour days shift with weekends off, less overtime, but the challenge has been about the same. I hated it for the first couple years, and I have been at this job for 14 now, but I never missed any activities my kids were involved in. Their junior and senior years we were able to attend every away game, wrestling, football, volleyball, and basketball. It was definitely worth it in that respect. I could never consider quitting a job though unless pay and benefits were a wash.

Only one I can remember quiting-terminated -fired - I had an early archery elk tag- I was told at the last minute I couldn't go. I went anyway-lol

guy called several times wondering if I'd gotten my elk and when was I returning- I never returned any of them - I tagged out first day of my 2 week hunting time and just enjoyed camp and helping others

went back to same job 3 weeks after I was told I wouldn't have a job if I went hunting.

• Like 1

Depends what you mean by "better job". Had a roofing company and a remodeling company. The roofing company was great and good for a steady grand per week with partners. I ran the company and my partner and his sons were the crew. Totally stress free. At the remodeling company I had to count on employees to do the work and I was "living the dream". The only problem was the dream was a nightmare. Man, I could tell you some tales... In any case the remodeling company made me hate business ownership so badly that I wanted to walk away from it completely. So I told my partner I'm out and I now work for a pest control company. In another year I can start my own company but be a one man show and only use my kids as employees (when and if needed).

So now I'm just putting in my time. We decided were wanting to move up north next year and the pest control world kind of allows you to have time off for things like hunting so it's the perfect job for someone who loves the outdoor life.

I don't regret leaving my other companies behind at all. I've learned a lot and know how to do lots of things pretty darn good. Sometimes you just have to take the leap of faith, it's scary but you'll never know unless you try. Just make sure you have a plan.

The ONE time I was ever fired, for not letting the 5'6 boss call me a "dumb phucking redneck" and then him saying he was gonna kick my butt, I got the call to go to the academy 3 days later AND I had a 2nd job. I've never ever quit a job without my 2 weeks notice. Whether it be minimum wage or a good (at the time) paying job.

I'm pretty much stuck with what I do. Doubt I can find a job I can tolerate that pays like this one does. Lots of benefits. Not married to the job, but it has a lot of positives to it that would be hard for any other job to match.

2 times walked out and moved up and onward in both instances. Always better to have another job but sometimes bad jobs just have to go.

With a wife and two young daughters, I quit a good job as a research chemist and went to grad school, working for a lot less pay for the next six years. But I earned an M.S. and Ph.D in the profession that I really wanted to be in. It has been a good life ever since, going places and doing things that many people only dream about. I have never regretted it.