Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Anyone ever up and quit a good job?

I did lose a good job, for that time in my life, because they would not "let" me go on my first elk hunt. The vacation was already approved but the 'boss' did not like hunting/firearms/killing animals/me. So he gave me some BS reason why I could not go. In the end my wife supported me and my decision to go hunting so I was golden.

I thought it was about the money when It wasn't.it was about love of what I believe I was born to do.never looked back

I have quit a bad job. I used to be self employed for many years, but since that ended, I have not experienced anything that could be considered a good job. especially in Tucson.

Put my 2 week notice in back in Jan. Haven't looked back. 32 years of the same thing with no change wears on you. Usually people quit their boss and not the company........

• Like 1

I was president of a marketing company with 100 employees. The company had 2500 employees total and the owners had us on a profit trust plan where we would all get rich. After 100 years they sold to some nasty people out of Texas. The new CEO came to Phoenix and shook hands with every employee I had and asked about their families. He then shut my office door and told me to fire 17% of my people and he would make me rich. I told him to KMA and walked out the door to go elk hunting in NM. They went bankrupt and not one cent was paid to any of the employees who had profit trust statements from $2000 to $500000. I got back from hunting and was hired by our largest competitor to run Arizona for them so all was good.

• Like 3

After my divorce, I went up to Montana 2010-2011. I worked a seasonal job as head of maintenance on a large guest ranch, just outside of West Yellowstone. Not a bad gig, but it was seasonal.

After I closed up the ranch at the end of September, I moved up to Bozeman for the winter, and went to work for Blackhawk Mfg. I worked in the injection moulding department making pistol holsters, gun stocks,and misc parts. It was a good place to work, but the pay was lousy. They offered me a training program in the machine shop for better pay, and future advancement, but I declined. Put in my 2 week notice in May, and went back down to the ranch for the summer.

Blackhawk was purchashed by ATK. The company was growing and getting strict with Corporate policies. I enjoyed the family type atmosphere, but I didn't want to become a corporate Zombie.

Standing in the Blackhawk parking lot March 2011.

post-1241-0-76629500-1497450492_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I did that about 4 years ago. Quit a really good job here locally and started my own company. My wife quit her job the next year to help me. Best thing I ever did...

• Like 3

I built a costruction/services co. from scratch in ABQ, NM starting in 1989,

I had zero employees. By 1993 I was netting over $150K a year and hired a part timer to service my DOD contracts at the USAF base there and I started taking 5-6 days a week off to work on my ranch in Datil, NM.

The company's​ revenue was growing 100% annually. But the crime even in the nice part of Albuquerque where we had a home, was just horrendous. My home and business were constantly being broken into. My wife was from WA and we decided to sell everything and move there.

And although I loved the outdoors in WA., selling the business was among the worst decisions I have ever made.

• Like 1

I did about 10 years ago it was more of a mutual thing economy was going down company closed location I was working and I was not thrilled with the location I was getting tranfered to. I started my own business and we have grown ever since and continue to grow still. Pay started out lower but has improved. I am happy thats probably as important as income.

• Like 1

I'm 16 years in with my current employer. If I can make 8 more years I can retire at 56. But it's becoming a chore and I'm pretty burned out. I've been tempted to walk away and just start fresh somewhere else, but I guess I just don't have the guts to do it.

• Like 2

I'm 16 years in with my current employer. If I can make 8 more years I can retire at 56. But it's becoming a chore and I'm pretty burned out. I've been tempted to walk away and just start fresh somewhere else, but I guess I just don't have the guts to do it.

Retiring at 56 would be nice. I will be 56 next birthday, but lost everything that would have been my retirement in the economic crash of 09. Now I will have to work until I fall over dead. Lol.

• Like 3

Haven't had many jobs, but I did quit one job (with two weeks notice) that paid well fairly recently. It was on general principle. I was moved to a completely different unit with no support around me at night with literally no notice and expected to take a pay cut to do it. Also got about 15 minutes of training for what was, in essence, a completely different job. Wasn't about to risk my nursing license in that working condition. Long story short I recently got my RN license and definitely aint ever going back, currently looking for a good full time new graduate job (easier said than done lol).

Retiring at 56 would be nice. I will be 56 next birthday, but lost everything that would have been my retirement in the economic crash of 09. Now I will have to work until I fall over dead. Lol.
There's a lot of that going around.
  • Like 1

So I kinda know your situation and can tell you I KNOW first hand the company is no fun to work for. But the grass is not always greener. What you get paid an hour is pretty good and you would be hard pressed to find that anywhere else. That being said the best thing I ever did was leave and start my own place. It has been a struggle but it is well worth it in the end. You can always pm me if you want to bounce anything off of me.